72 centurion

22 hours ago, Smartin said:

ah ye olde 455 rocket.

And a Stage 1 Rocket motor.  I would stay far far away from that seller.  I like how he says they made only 110,500 of them in 3 years.  Well yes, but maybe only show how many convertibles they made to create a better idea of scarcity.  LoL.  

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We Olds guys get our share of indignity inflicted on us too. Examples: my Starfires are invariably called Impalas, my Ninety Eight a Cadillac, and my Toronado a Riviera. The Hurst/Olds usually gets "ain't never seen no hearse like thet".

I guess I should count myself lucky they recognize them as GM products.🙄

We also get a lot of "y'ought put a Chivverlay motor innat. Them Rocket ingins ain't much good."

That's when they get their feelings hurt.🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rocketraider said:

We Olds guys get our share of indignity inflicted on us too. Examples: my Starfires are invariably called Impalas, my Ninety Eight a Cadillac, and my Toronado a Riviera. The Hurst/Olds usually gets "ain't never seen no hearse like thet".

I guess I should count myself lucky they recognize them as GM products.🙄

We also get a lot of "y'ought put a Chivverlay motor innat. Them Rocket ingins ain't much good."

That's when they get their feelings hurt.🙂

I would think you would take it as a compliment having your Toro called a Riv, that's a step up in the world

At least most people, even automotively ignorant people, can identify a Cadillac. The LaSalle part not so much.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:24 AM, Smartin said:

Shots fired! 🤣

And we have Rocket launchers!😏

Riviera are nice cars, no doubt. But they were for the personal luxury market who wasn't quite ready to step over the edge into the advanced engineering of Oldsmobile's radical for the time front wheel drive.

I like 67-70 Eldorado too, but their market was the guy who was going to have the latest-and-greatest-cost-be-damned car he could buy short of going across the Atlantic.

Then came 1971.🙄

Toronado stayed closer to the GM personal luxury styling mold and it was Riviera's turn for radical. I call 1971-78 Eldorado's pimp years. Then Toronado got bloated in 74, and Riviera became the best-styled of the 70s E-bodies. Shame the bottom fell out from under their market. The love-it-or-hate-it Boattail was a hard act to follow.

There have been Buicks in the family, just never a Riviera. There have been six 66-85 Toronados, including one 66 that I'm not sure its owner ever realized it was front wheel drive.

On 1/17/2023 at 6:11 PM, rocketraider said:

At least most people, even automotively ignorant people, can identify a Cadillac. The LaSalle part not so much.

And we have Rocket launchers!😏

Riviera are nice cars, no doubt. But they were for the personal luxury market who wasn't quite ready to step over the edge into the advanced engineering of Oldsmobile's radical for the time front wheel drive.

I like 67-70 Eldorado too, but their market was the guy who was going to have the latest-and-greatest-cost-be-damned car he could buy short of going across the Atlantic.

Then came 1971.🙄

Toronado stayed closer to the GM personal luxury styling mold and it was Riviera's turn for radical. I call 1971-78 Eldorado's pimp years. Then Toronado got bloated in 74, and Riviera became the best-styled of the 70s E-bodies. Shame the bottom fell out from under their market. The love-it-or-hate-it Boattail was a hard act to follow.

There have been Buicks in the family, just never a Riviera. There have been six 66-85 Tornadoes, including one 66 that I'm not sure its owner ever realized it was front wheel drive.

Regardless what each portrayed at a specific time they were both marketed in the exact same class, they personal luxury class.  They both offered something a little different but if you want sporting personal luxury I would put a Riv GS up against the Toro any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  But there is one fact that is set in stone, the Buick was a step up from an Olds in the GM hierarchy 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)