Has anyone out there ever cleaned a car cover?

Tom Boehm

I have a car cover from California Car Cover made of NOAH fabric. It is about 20 years old. I use it indoors. I vacuum the dust off of it about once a year. I am very happy with the car cover but I would like to clean it more. The instructions that came with it say to wash it in a big commercial washer with Fantastik as the detergent. Has anyone out there had success cleaning a car cover? 

I have not but the thought has crossed my mind. I have one from Cal Car Cover that is the soft stretchy stuff. Not sure what they call it but it was upper mid level int. only. My does get dusty and I have brushed it off. I figured a commercial washing machine would do the trick. We have an old fashioned solar dryer in the backyard, If you go that route you can save money at least on the drying process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

We have done it before. Find a laundromat and take lots of quarters. Drying time seems to vary between 1 hour to 3 days.

I just dropped it off at the laundromat and I picked it up the nest day, If I remember correctly it was around $40 folded and finished.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

I did it with my very tall 1908 Model F Buick light weight canvas cover made to fit with the top up. 

It took two wash cycles and three dry cycles to get it clean & dry enough to put it on the car to dry completely.

1908 Model F Ruby on Lift.jpg

Beautiful Buick!

25 minutes ago, Bills Auto Works said:

I have 2 covers, the older California cover is just single material with no inner soft pad. That one I have washed in my washing machine & dried it in my dryer! The newer one on the XLR-V has the thick inner soft pad, I don't think I would Attempt to wash that one myself.

God Bless

BIll

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Same here. I had several covers from Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories back in the day and just ran them through the home washer and dryer. No, it didn't get completly dry. Just put it on the car and it dries very quickly.

• Like 1