Super Stutz is now back to the front of the line......

alsancle

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

How does this car, or any car for that matter get on the lawn at Pebble Beach? Bob 

Hey Bob,  they have a whole application process and a selection committee.  Ed can explain it better than me.   This car would probably require a prewar "speedster" class.

In general,  the concours are all trying to come up with an interesting and fresh field of cars every year.   Not easy when you consider that we have a "fixed" number of car.   At Pebble you tend to see  fresh restorations of special cars that haven't been seen in a long time.

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

How does this car, or any car for that matter get on the lawn at Pebble Beach? Bob 

There is no short answer. First thing is what car is it.....I know that sounds kind of simple, but in fact 99.999 percent of all cars are rather common. Thus, you need something special, and that can be any of a hundred different things. The best thing to have is a fresh restoration on a car thats never been shown anywhere before.......ever. Thats a pretty tall order. Understanding what they want is also important. Basically they want the car bone stock, unmodified, in the original color, the way it was delivered. Certain classes get two hundred applications for 8 car spots, so you can see how the best of the best is what hits the green. Picking the best 8 out of two hundreds gives you lots of choice, then body style, power plant, custom body, ect.,ect., ect. They also keep records on what people have for collections, and the head judge or another committee member will often call to get certain cars on the show filed. There's no exact science to it. Another example is that many of the best restoration shops get asked a year ahead of time, do you have anything interesting that may be a good fit next year? To be honest, after almost 50 years of doing this, I still cant believe the stuff they come up with. And I'm not talking about your run of the mill V-16 Cadillac or such, but absolutely crazy over the top cars I didn't even know were built. I can tell you this, their job isn't easy. Last year the Isotta classes were fantastic, and any car there could have been justified as a best of show car........I think  there were almost 25 of them. Think you have a great car? Enter it for Pebble, drive it on the field feeling like a million bucks, then get to your parking spot and it feels like you just drove into a brick wall at 80 mph. No matter how good your car is, there is another half dozen just as good or better parked next to you. This year will by my fifth time parking a car on the green..........and it doesn't get any easier! 

And one last thing that can help you or hurt you on the field............the weather. Believe it or not, many cars look diffrent on a sunny day verses a cloudy day. Sandra Button once commented on this, and how lighting on any given day can help you or hurt you. I can tell you this, if you think the players on the field at the super bowl are serious about winning, they don't hold a candle to the level of competition that hits the 18 green on a Sunday in August. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Thanks Ed! This will be my second time at Pebble Beach, as in 2016 it is a Father's Day gift from my oldest daughter out in LA, we both had a great first time out there. Historic Races, the tour, lunch in Carmel, just hanging out in the lot with the transport trucks and the cars & owners, a real fun time. The one thing I noticed was the fact that I couldn't judge the cars, they were flawless, works of art, the products of skilled artisans, I liked that. Hope the Summer doesn't race by, but we are looking forward to Pebble Beach. Bob 

• 2 years later...

This was made as a fathers day present for Gus Schumacher by his kids.    Just to clarify for the record,  we have very definitive proof that construction was 29-33.  You can see in some of the zoom shots of the car already weathered with 34 plates on it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks for the update, I've seen them listed for sale on line. Have you given any thought to installing a small block Chevy to test the chassis? 

Bob

tsk tsk Bob.   We will see how this goes,  but hopefully we have a running engine sometime this year.   Fabricating the exhaust is not going to be trivial.

• Like 1

The exhaust is the easy part....it's the 10,000 detailed hardware problems that are going to bleed you like a stuck pig. 

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

After too long of a delay, the Stutz Special is back in the shop...........and it should be running by spring...........just a quick photo of todays work.......

IMG_7672.jpg

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

Hmmm, another 4-carb special.  It should be fun synchronizing and tuning.  Are the cast aluminum intakes new?

Hi Gary........Don't worry, you will know more soon. We (AJ & I) were discussing some engineering help we are going to need, and you were the first one I thought of...........We are making all new intake and exhaust from scratch. We may need a few of the linkage castings you made for your car if you still have some. Besides unlimited funds to properly restore this car, I can promise you a ride around Lime Rock at 100 mph +.

PS- the unlimited funds remark is from me, NOT AJ. He is fairly cheap. 😎

• Like 2

Bob, it’s my mission in life to make you scream like a schoolgirl while I shift through the gears at Limerock in the Stutz. 😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Ed, this is where you were supposed to post it:

And yes,  I need someone to loan me their fishing rod so I can find my wallet.

What good is a fishing rod when you keep your fish hooks in your pocket. There is an old saying when someone is a reluctant payer. He has fish hooks in his pocket.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

After too long of a delay, the Stutz Special is back in the shop...........and it should be running by spring...........just a quick photo of todays work.......

IMG_7672.jpg

What size are the Winfield carburetors? What is the cubic in of that engine?

1 hour ago, George K said:

What good is a fishing rod when you keep your fish hooks in your pocket. There is an old saying when someone is a reluctant payer. He has fish hooks in his pocket.

Fish hooks? Some how the pots they use on The Deadliest Catch are more in order. 

4 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Scream like a schoolgirl indeed! 

Bob imagine that thing on the backside "S" turn or the diving turn at LRP.  I have seen more than one vintage racer end up in the field over the years.  

The last fatality in a Vintage event started there.

2 hours ago, George K said:

What size are the Winfield carburetors? What is the cubic in of that engine?

George……we only play with cool stuff………..😎

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I’ll find it tomorrow. Maybe 20 years ago? The auction company didn’t do a good job on the description.

Tom paid 112k. We where rebuilding the engine and built a correct hood when Tom suddenly died. Family did not wish to finish it as it had a broken crankshaft that was slowly being built. Went away to parts unknown. Wisconsin aircraft engine that never passed the Navy 50 hr test.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, George K said:

Single stick Stutz under 300 inches. 4 Winfield carburetors if they a 2” is enough to run a V12 1650 inch Liberty engine. $$$ not well spent.

Over carburated like 99 percent of the stuff people build today. And I bet hard starting and about 4 mph. We shall know soon enough. Fortunately, C9 is only 14 bucks a gallon, and I have AJ’s debit card in my wallet. 

Compression is 8 to 1. Hot cam. Trick valve job. Wide open header. It’s was very well built. The original builder built a bunch of trick stuff all pre war. He ran independent four wheel suspension in 35 or 36 at Indy. Has lots of cool special details. It’s AJ’s car, so I will let him talk about it. Just a fantastic story from how I was chasing it down and hit a dead end, to how Big Al knew what and where it was from the photo I published just based on a rumor. It’s fun to be involved in such an odd ball and unique car. 

• Like 7