Costco car lift/jack safe for lifting a heavy Buick

Robert Winters

Idk, I’ve thought about it but then decided not to.. I’m gonna put 4 post lift in my garage..  It’ll make things easier and I can store more 

• Like 2

That Costco lift looks interesting.... If I had one and lifted any car I would have jack stands at all 4 corners as an insurance feature. As far as getting underneath a car on the lift and jack stands, I don't think that I would do it. But that would come in handy for brake and front end work. I guess I would get under a car to quickly pull an oil pan bolt...

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Robert -

I have the 5000 lb Quickjack and used it to lift my 1949 Buick Super Sedan many times.  The car weighs 3840 lbs.  Also, I left it jacked up for a couple weeks when I pulled off the rear axle and torque tube to replace the torque ball seal and to swap the original 4.45 differential pumpkin for a more highway friendly 3.60 from a 1954 Buick.  There are hard rubber (??) blocks that are supplied that go between the metal parallelogram jack units and the car frame - so there is no damage to the car frame.  I will say that the 49's frame runs along the out side edge of car under the doors and then turns in to come around front wheels.  This turn of the frame requires me to put the Quickjack a bit further back on the car than I would like, and the weight of the engine more forward on the lift.  To compensate, I put some weight in the trunk to help balance it.  I have not had any front to back balance issues but it makes me feel safer.  I push on the car corners side to side and it is solid on the jacks when lifted.  Even when I had the rear axle and torque tube off of the car it was solid on the lift.  Picture of a 1951 frame is attached but the same as my 49.  See how the frame cuts in pretty far back behind the front wheels.  The jacks need to be parallel for lifting so I cannot angle them in toward the engine to get them a little closer to the front wheels.

Bottom line - it has been a good unit for me for both my classic car and the modern daily drivers.  Tire work, brake work, muffler work, dropped the gas tank once - you name it.  Easy set up and handy to have.  Only downside is there is a lot of getting up and down to lay on your back and crawl or roll under when doing a project underneath the car.  If you forget a tool or need something - its up and down, up and down.  Sometimes I wished my garage had the ceiling height for a regular lift I could just walk under.  If you have trouble with up and down and laying on the floor working then this unit is not going to work for you.  

So are these lifts safe to lift a big Buick? - Yes.

Will they damage the frame? - No.

A 7k lift would be great for a 5k car.

I hope this information is helpful.  Any questions you have please ask.  Pete

Buick on Quickjack 1.jpg

Buick Frame.jpg

Edited by IFDPete
wording (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Unless a person is doing frequent brake or tire change services, I don’t see these type of lifts practical for much else, as they allow very limited, if any access to anything else underneath the car.

On the car like OP has, I’d rather have it on conventional jack stands, especially if I would need to do any work on it.

P.S. 4-post lifts aren’t much better for work access either and in many cases, even less than these QJ type equipment. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TTR said:

Unless a person is doing frequent brake or tire change services, I don’t see these type of lifts practical for much else, as they allow very limited, if any access to anything else underneath the car.

On the car like OP has, I’d rather have it on conventional jack stands, especially if I would need to do any work on it.

P.S. 4-post lifts aren’t much better for work access either and in many cases, even less than these QJ type equipment. 

The drive line is open with this lift.  Any task under the car  can be done.    There is more room than any jack stand can offer.  I can pull a transmission and or torque tube from my Buicks.  It is easier to set up than teetering on a jack stand while running to another corner of the car to get another jack stand under.    I have not touched a jack stand since purchasing this lift.     

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is all very encouraging. I share my garage with my Wife and generally have to clear out when I'm done so that she can get her car back in. I spend a lot of time fiddling with jackstands. If this is as good as it seems to be, they look like a good buy. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, drhach said:

This is all very encouraging. I share my garage with my Wife and generally have to clear out when I'm done so that she can get her car back in. I spend a lot of time fiddling with jackstands. If this is as good as it seems to be, they look like a good buy. 

I have not touched a jack stand since purchase.  Truthfully, I hate a car up on jack stands.  Just the jacking of each corner to raise each jack one click. Rinse repeat until the car is up. A lot of work.  Dreaded it every time.     I feel much safer with this unit.   This unit is simply to position each.  Raise to the frame.  Check all is in good contact.  Up it goes.     I leave the unit on the garage floor(pushed together) when not in use. I then drive my 60 Buick over top.   Your wife could probably do the same. 

• Like 2

I bought one of these about 6 months ago and I'm very please with how it works. The first point I need to make is these are not Costco lifts, they are made by BendPak. Some observations:

• The build quality is very good and I was surprised by the heft. Each lift weighs about 100 lbs.
  • Assuming you have lifted the car from a solid jack point, the stability is very good. I do put a jack stand under each side when I'm working under the car, but I feel I'm being over cautious. There is only one lock on each side, along with the hydraulics as a backup (which I doubt would be much help in the event of a collapse). The one improvement I would make is adding another safety lock.
  • The biggest surprise is how high the car is once lifted. Yes, I had the measurement from the listing, but experiencing it in reality is a different thing. There's enough room under the car I can lay on my side, on my creeper, and still have plenty of space.
  • I've only lifted lighter cars so far, so I can't speak to your application. However, I'd have no hesitation to lift my Buick when the need arises.
  • The only issue I've had with these is some of my cars have a short wheelbase which makes positioning the lift a challenge.

lift.jpg

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I have used the Quick Jacks and found them relatively stable and fully capable of lifting a 5K vehicle, however I would only use them while doing "four corner" work and not so much rolling under a vehicle on them as I have bumped one side and got the "Hebbie Geebbies" watching the car shake. I have a scissor lift in my front garage that gives you more rise and safety, unfortunately it has a large deck in the center so removing a transmission or exhaust is impossible to do.  I am fortunate enough to have a lovely wife that let me take over the rather large garden in the back yard and make a 24 x 36 shop that I am just finishing that has a 4-post and two post lifts.  The 4 post is great for storage and I have done complete powertrain transfers on it. I am 6'2" and on the top lift point I can stand under any vehicle and have complete access. All in all the quick jacks can and will make your wheel change and brake repairs much more convenient but like every thing they have their limitations and should never be pushed past them.

image.jpeg.ac345b019a9b44f39ace18a7479ad649.jpegimage.jpeg.0fe5cf0b7146c4a2a2d498ce25654fbc.jpegimage.jpeg.0a17f9883082dd4ddaade0bac311d35f.jpeg

• Like 4

Dealership oil changes are $100 or more these days.  Tire rotation $30.  Just changing your classics and daily drivers oil yourself will earn you your money back on these lifts over time.  If you like to do your own brakes, rotate your tires, or any other auto service it is just that much quicker of a payback. 

As CarNucopia says there is ample room to work underneath.

Getting any car up on the first one or two jack stands can be very tricky and hazardous.  This lift system eliminates the hazards, is safe, stable, and strong.  Your family wants you to to be safe while enjoying your hobby.  

Everyone thinks nothing bad will ever happen to them.  As a Firefighter I see people on their worst days when tragedy strikes.  It CAN happen to you ...I have seen it.  Bad things happen to good folks.  Unfortunately I have had job security for 25 years because accidents happen.  These lifts are a good investment in your future.

Edited by IFDPete (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

The drive line is open with this lift.  Any task under the car  can be done.    There is more room than any jack stand can offer.  I can pull a transmission and or torque tube from my Buicks.  It is easier to set up than teetering on a jack stand while running to another corner of the car to get another jack stand under.    I have not touched a jack stand since purchasing this lift.     

Apparently my experiences have been different.

While I have two 2-post lifts (3rd one coming soon) to use when working on undercarriage and variety of other tasks, including lifting bodies from frames, assembling/disassembling frames,  painting, welding, etc, I occasionally also resort to having a car on jack stands, but I don’t quite understand your comment referring to “another corner”, as I usually lift one end of any car and place 2 stands at a time in appreciate locations and repeat same at the other end of the car. Not that very complex or difficult to do., but then again my jacks or stands are not discount store quality or lack there of.

I have been offered these types of lifts twice (for free), but saw no practical use for either.

Awhile back, I was even offered a reasonable quality, working 4-post lift (also for free), but declined the kind offer since I don’t have use for one nor didn’t want to spend time to go disassemble, move and reassemble it.
OTOH, I did put the grantor in touch with someone who had appreciation, need and willingness to go get it at the grantor’s convenience, not to mention without making a mess at latter’s place.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TTR said:

Apparently my experiences have been different.

While I have two 2-post lifts (3rd one coming soon) to use when working on undercarriage and variety of other tasks, including lifting bodies from frames, assembling/disassembling frames,  painting, welding, etc, I occasionally also resort to having a car on jack stands, but I don’t quite understand your comment referring to “another corner”, as I usually lift one end of any car and place 2 stands at a time in appreciate locations and repeat same at the other end of the car. Not that very complex or difficult to do., but then again my jacks or stands are not discount store quality or lack there of.

I have been offered these types of lifts twice (for free), but saw no practical use for either.

Awhile back, I was even offered a reasonable quality, working 4-post lift (also for free), but declined the kind offer since I don’t have use for one nor didn’t want to spend time to go disassemble, move and reassemble it.
OTOH, I did put the grantor in touch with someone who had appreciation, need and willingness to go get it at the grantor’s convenience, not to mention without making a mess at latter’s place.

2 post lifts are great....if you have a garage to accommodate such a lift.  In my case, as well as others, I don't have a garage that can accommodate a 2-post.  The Quick Jack lift is a good alternative.  To clarify,  lifting the front of a car and placing jack stands is fine for some.  Going to the rear of the car to lift and place jack stands is nothing short of a crap shoot IMO.  It has nothing to do with not being "complex".  The jack stands holding the front groaning/slipping a bit as the back is lifted for jack stands to be placed there.    Difficult?  Jacking up the car, rinse repeat for jack stands is difficult and time consuming compared to Quick Jack.    I find the jack stand less safe then the Quick Jack. One man's opinion.    In short, I don't like jack stands.  Specifically after using a Quick Jack.

I need to move to your area.  The folks there apparently give away a lot of free  stuff.           

The difference for me is noted below.  I would have rather the Quick Jack when I was pulling my torque tube to replace the U-joint. 

YjSLqvS.jpgm9lG2nD.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

2 post lifts are great....if you have a garage to accommodate such a lift.  In my case, as well as others, I don't have a garage that can accommodate a 2-post.  The Quick Jack lift is a good alternative.  To clarify,  lifting the front of a car and placing jack stands is fine for some.  Going to the rear of the car to lift and place jack stands is nothing short of a crap shoot IMO.  It has nothing to do with not being "complex".  The jack stands holding the front groaning/slipping a bit as the back is lifted for jack stands to be placed there.    Difficult?  Jacking up the car, rinse repeat for jack stands is difficult and time consuming compared to Quick Jack.    I find the jack stand less safe then the Quick Jack. One man's opinion.    In short, I don't like jack stands.  Specifically after using a Quick Jack.

I need to move to your area.  The folks there apparently give away a lot of free  stuff.           

The difference for me is noted below.  I would have rather the Quick Jack when I was pulling my torque tube to replace the U-joint. 

YjSLqvS.jpgm9lG2nD.jpg

I’m glad it’s working for you.

I, like you, was just offering an opinion.

I know I’ve become jaded by having a shop with plenty of space and 12 ft. ceiling height, allowing the use of 2-post lifts, but then again, I do all this for living also. I actually don’t do any services or repairs for own cars at home.
As for using a floor jack to lift entire vehicle, I usually start in the rear because most seem to have of less overhang in the front, allowing easier access when opposite end is already raised.

I’m not sure it’s very common for folks to give or receive stuff for free around here.
All my experiences are merely between me and good clients, colleagues or friends. 

9 hours ago, TTR said:

I use a 4 post for everything on cars from 1930 to 2022. Having a trolly jack is the key. Sliding cross brace with double jack stands I made. I have jack stands just sitting in the corner I never use anymore.

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This post got a little off topic and I contributed to that as well when I made the comments on the Pontiacs.

The purchase has probably already been made, or the decision to pass on it made, but I'll give my comments and opinion anyway.

To the original question, if your car weighs 5000 lbs and the jacks are rated for 7000, it should work.  Overkill is always the safest thing.

I once tried to jack up the front end of a 7000 lb van with a 4000 lb rated jack (it's all I had at the time).  Of course, it didn't work.  I bought a 10,000 air / hydraulic jack from Harbor Freight and use it to raise the front or rear of vehicles for tire rotation.  Most of the time I store things on the top of the jack and hang my coat on the handle, it's somewhat of a monster with a large floor footprint and I don't use it often.  But, I'm glad I have it, and being on wheels, it's easy to roll it around if it's in the way.

"Lesser" brands (no offense to anyone) like Harbor Freight I think are fine, if used in the home garage.  I've seen that they wear out quickly at a business or professional shop, and most of the latter probably opt for the better quality brands.  When I priced quickjacks at around 1500 and compared that to bendpak, yeah, I'm priced out of the better brands.  Given unlimited money and space, I'm sure we would all get the best of the best!

People have such a variety of garage setups, it's about what works for them.  I have some space, but not height, in my garage.  I love to have options with different ways to raise cars, and I had considered quickjacks at one point, to rotate tires on daily drivers.  I don't see how they could be good for every situation, but they work for some.  My old Buicks have enough ground clearance for some tasks so I don't need to raise the car.

When I pulled the torque tube and axle, and transmission, and then engine on the old Buick, it was all using jack stands.  Some of that project took years, so the car was raised for that long, with no issues.  I supported the weight of the car, under where the springs are mounted, thinking the weight of the car is at those points normally.  

While using either quickjacks or jackstands, it seems to me that the mechanic is on a creeper, so forgotten tools on the workbench that are needed under the car will still require a lot of getting up and down, which is hard on us older folks.  The only was to avoid that is obviously to use a lift.  

For me, quickjacks were too much money not to use them all the time.  I don't rotate tires or do brakes that often.  I'm sure people with many cars who drive lots of miles, or run businesses, do.  Also I don't store things under the car, so it became 2 more 100lb items with large footprints to store somewhere when not in use.  My jackstands are on shelves, my jacks are under benches, sharing those storage footprints to save space.

I'm sure a lot of guys would like a 2 post or 4 post lift if they had the garage height, but in my experience I have seen cars teeter while 6 feet in the air with someone underneath prying or pounding on something.  It's just the nature of working on cars I guess.  Cars can just slip off of things.  Certainly no one wants that to happen, to anyone.

No matter what the choice, I learned years back, when it's raised no matter what the method, give it a good shake and push before taking the wheels off so that if it isn't stable, hopefully it will fall on it's wheels.  Damage likely will still occur, but life will hopefully be saved.

When jacking up either end of a car, make sure the swivel wheels on the jack roll in the same direction as the car wheels. If using jack stands, the stands should not tilt or creak when raising the other end of the car, because the jack will just roll as the angle of the car to the ground changes. (hopefully that makes sense, probably basic knowledge)

Good luck, and be safe!

• Like 1