Difficulties Removing VIR AC unit on '76 Caddy

Amateur

I have to take the VIR off to replace the dessicant bag after the compressor burned up.

Car is a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

It looks like there are 2 nuts, but one is part of the VIR unit itself (an old one left in a box with the car by previous owner has this nut too and its not loose as I thought it would be if its been removed from the car). That nut has threads inside it.

I've tried PB blaster on the hex nut on the refrigerant line but can't get it to move. I presume it follows the 'lefty loosey right tightey' adage which would mean I turn it towards the passenger side wheel?

Is there some trick I'm missing for this one? I haven't come across 2 nuts joined together like this before. Someone must have removed one of these things before and can advise?

IMG_20221123_202202.jpg

That is not two nuts, it is one nut screwed into a fitting on the VIR unit. The wrench flats on the VIR unit's bung are because you should be using two wrenches to get enough force on the assembly.;)

Yes, right hand threads. Use your favorite lubricant (Kroil, ATF with acetone, etc).

• Like 3

If it's still possible to get a complete rebuilt VIR assembly I think I'd go that route. That way the valves, desiccant bag and everything have been inspected and replaced (yah, I know...) and the A/C system doesn't stay open to atmosphere as long as it would if you remove/rebuild/replace the VIR unit.

I never thought the VIR A/C system was one of GM's better ideas. But as is often the case it was simpler to install coming down the assembly line.

Probably You already know this; but for those that don't.

The Crescent/adjustable wrenches shown in the pics ; have one way to use them.

Follow this guy's direction.  https://www.google.com/search?q=correct+way+to+use+a+crescent+adjustable+wrench&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.35i39i362l5j46i39i175i199i362j35i39i362l2.434339980j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_FLCgY9vmKsyn5NoPr6yXuAE_56

So on a hard pull, do it like the video for the best result

intimeold

4 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

You need to get out the BIG wrenches.

DSCF5377.JPG

These work good on stuff like this too. I'm partial to 6-point stuff for most things now. I've also found Harbor Freight and Northern Tool brands work fine for stuff like this unless you're making a living with them working in a busy shop.image_13727.jpg56794_W3.jpg

18 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Is the wrench on the far LEFT a metric wrench and the one on the far right an SAE wrench? Or maybe Whitworth wrench?

HA!  I put this array together when I rebuilt the underhood A/C system on my 66 Dodge and needed a lot of large size end wrenches. Luckily I inherited my Father-in Law's old tool boxes, he worked on busses and trains for the CTA in Chicago.

DSCF6312.JPG

DSCF6314.JPG

DSCF6315.JPG

• Like 2

Tex, that 300 mm adjustable wrench is just 12", I'd call that medium size. For a large wrench, buy the Harbor Freight  (like Glenn says) 15" or 24" adjustable. Great for small watch repairs...😆

And for large combination wrenches, see the 1 3/8 to 2" set:

https://www.harborfreight.com/jumbo-sae-combination-wrench-set-6-piece-61513.html

Truly not used much, but when one needs one...

And they have larger sets also!😉

• Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 11:51 PM, Oldtech said:

No, the big nut is part of the Unit. Just hold it and unscrew the smaller fitting.

The part on the VIR is aluminum, and needs to be held to prevent distortion, while the other nut is turned. You will put force on both wrenches, but do not twist the part on the VIR off. If you can find a flare nut wrench to fit (Glenn shows some crowsfoot style), so much the better, but not a common to find in a  tool box wrench.

On 12/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

You need to get out the BIG wrenches.

DSCF5377.JPG

I just enlarged the photo and 😍🥰.

There's an Indestro, a Hinsdale and two Billings in that lineup!😃 In sizes to work on A/C lines and fittings!

I needed a big socket to r&r my bush hog blades. HF to the rescue with a 3/4 drive big socket set complete with its own plastic storage case! I may never use it for anything else but I have it. Something else that will go cheap when my life is auctioned off to the highest bidder...

• Like 2

Size 1034. Hey Glenn, have a Billing to inch decoder ring? I know, turn wrench over....:D

One good use for those large sockets (also the 2" to 3" add on kit) is bearing and bushing driver.👍

I have many Indestro wrenches and sockets, but none of the other two brands IIRC, which I probably did not...🙁