1948 PACKARD $8,000 Richmond, CA-----------Not Mine-------------

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

When my parents got married back in 1963 my dad gave my mom this exact car to drive.  It didn't have 3rd gear so she would have to drive around at 30 mph with traffic behind her.  That didn't go over well.  Her next car was a Rolls.

AJ:

What did your dad have to give for that '48 Packard in 1963, about $25?   The Ford dealer here took a '48 Packard Custom Eight sedan in trade in 1963 from the spinster daughter of local banker.  Although it was still in good, garage-kept condition, it sat on the backlot line of cheap cars with $25 soaped on the windshield.  Later I saw it with all the other unsaleable cars up on the hill at this farm in the junkyard.

Steve 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ:

What did your dad have to give for that '48 Packard in 1963, about $25?   The Ford dealer here took a '48 Packard Custom Eight sedan in trade in 1963 from the spinster daughter of local banker.  Although it was still in good, garage-kept condition, it sat on the backlot line of cheap cars with $25 soaped on the windshield.  Later I saw it with all the other unsaleable cars up on the hill at this farm in the junkyard.

Steve 

Steve, it was free. His buddy owned a junkyard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Steve, it was free. His buddy owned a junkyard.

That sounds about right!  The Ford dealer probably would have given me that Custom Eight just to get it off the lot...except I was eleven years old, and my folks wouldn't have let me have it.

• Like 1

I never thought that these were attractive, I used to call them ugly, but they were a styling breakthrough. I believe that they won some designer's awards when introduced. It would be nice if a car like this could be preserved, even as is. Look at that nice straight front end! It's an interesting car with some historic value. But it takes money to do that, I don't think that many guys will want to get involved here. Even at a much lower price. I know that I'm not going to give up one of my current cars to acquire this. I can't even use my "it's too far away from me" cop out here!

• Like 1