Finally stage 2 of the 1963 project

Dundee

Hi enthusiasts all over the globe,

thought I would put out a few photos and an update for the project as it has now embarked on the next stage.

As many of you would know I got this car out of the barn as an uncompleted project totally stripped with bay work done and complete with 5 vermin nests. The research and assistance started with many of you months before that as I assessed the risks of taking on this task and I can say without the forum help and knowledge I felt was out there and my nephew in the car restoration business I would not have taken it on if I had to go it alone...

Since August it has been very educational and a great way to learn the ins and out of the car while trying to piece together what I had and what I didn't have...It was a process of discovering parts, cleaning, servicing, repacking, labelling, listing what we had or needed to order and ordering to hopefully reduce the cost of having it put back together. Thanks again for all the input at various levels and I still have some orders to finalise over the next week as we ship lots out of the USA in January. After its 3 day drive to Adelaide I won't see the car now in until late April and time and money dictates the total time to get her back in the garage. Stage 1 at Rodney Plowman Restorations is to pull down the engine, trans and check and re-gasket everything plus remove and repair the hood where rust has come through between the frame on the underside.. The motor and trans works have apparently been done however sitting around for 10+ years so not taking any chances and also need to check the specs on the engine work we have.

Originally a DD car we thought about the prospects of taking it back that way but cost is not justifiable and the colour that is very close to Marlin Blue is in good shape. Also I have come to terms that the fact the previous owners changes and along with the right hand drive there is no point trying to be original with this car. The upholstery will be going back to silver which was not expected but unfortunately closer inspection of unused but 10 -15 year old restored seats stored in a hot shed has taken its toll on the vinyl, what a waste...

Naturally I will continue to follow the forum and will likely seek advice or help as we move forward.

Her are some photos (including 1 from when we picked it up) of its departure yesterday with car and trunk loaded with parts (hence the accentuated boat angle) and my 14 year old son who is looking rather comfortable in the Riviera...mmmmm

PS The car trailer is usually for a 67 Mustang stoked out 351 on Nitros 1100HP drag car and the Buick just fitted width wise..definitely a 1st class transport.

Dundee..

IMG_4891 copy.jpg

IMG_5890.JPG

IMG_5891.JPG

IMG_5888.jpg

IMG_5903.JPG

IMG_5901.JPG

IMG_5904.JPG

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Cool!  😎

Keep us posted with progress on the car.

Also I spotted a fixing hole in the trunk floor in a photo which may confirm your spare mounting location!?

Jim I am shipping combined parts orders out of Sarasota Florida so if you are still thinking about those vent levers to anyone down under let me know. As mentioned the goods are going to Adelaide so maybe not ideal as I am not there. I would have thought if you had someone wanting one they could perhaps take delivery of others and redistribute them.

Happy to hear you thoughts or needs and help if I can.

DundeeB3960FE3-A4FE-4537-8B76-8D5D918AC1AC.jpeg.37a7bf408876e619bfeeaaf9cae09eb2.jpeg

Thanks for confirming the spare tire location. Your car was built week 3C.  Based on other cars, it appears Buick changed the spare tire location around week 3E.

I don't know what to do about the heater temp control levers for the guys down under.  I've only had a couple of requests for them. I may just send a small number to one of the other guys that asked for one and then let people have them mailed from there by local post to them as needed.  I was mostly trying to save everyone some money on the postage cost.  The cost to ship 4 levers is almost the same as shipping 1.

Sending them to you at the city where the car is, but you are not, is not really a good plan.

3 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Thanks for confirming the spare tire location. Your car was built week 3C.  Based on other cars, it appears Buick changed the spare tire location around week 3E.

I don't know what to do about the heater temp control levers for the guys down under.  I've only had a couple of requests for them. I may just send a small number to one of the other guys that asked for one and then let people have them mailed from there by local post to them as needed.  I was mostly trying to save everyone some money on the postage cost.  The cost to ship 4 levers is almost the same as shipping 1.

Sending them to you at the city where the car is, but you are not, is not really a good plan.

Jim,

How much is the postage? Maybe it is better to send them individually instead of bundle several of the unobtainable part together and loose all at the same time if something goes wrong.

12 hours ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Jim,

How much is the postage? Maybe it is better to send them individually instead of bundle several of the unobtainable part together and loose all at the same time if something goes wrong.

Worst case scenario but valid point Swedee!

20 hours ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Jim,

I will get an international postage quote for 1 lever and for 4. We will see.

I had 30 levers made and have sold 15, so if the 4 going to you guys "got lost", I could replace them.  I would insure them for the retail price, so I would be kept whole and you would eventually get the 4 levers.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 10:09 AM, Jim Cannon said:

I will get an international postage quote for 1 lever and for 4. We will see.

I had 30 levers made and have sold 15, so if the 4 going to you guys "got lost", I could replace them.  I would insure them for the retail price, so I would be kept whole and you would eventually get the 4 levers.

The postage to Australia is the same if I send 1 lever or 4:  42.80 USD (call it 40 USD to make the maths easier).

If Jan does not mind holding the 3 extra levers until someone needs them, I could send him 4 now and he can pay me for 1 lever + 25% of the international postage (65+10=75 USD).

As others need them, they can pay me for the lever + 25% of the international postage (75 USD) and pay Jan for domestic postage cost to them, or collect the lever from him in person.

What do you think, Jan?  Does that sound reasonable? That lowers everyone's shipping cost quite a bit.

2 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

The postage to Australia is the same if I send 1 lever or 4:  42.80 USD (call it 40 USD to make the maths easier).

If Jan does not mind holding the 3 extra levers until someone needs them, I could send him 4 now and he can pay me for 1 lever + 25% of the international postage (65+10=75 USD).

As others need them, they can pay me for the lever + 25% of the international postage (75 USD) and pay Jan for domestic postage cost to them, or collect the lever from him in person.

What do you think, Jan?  Does that sound reasonable? That lowers everyone's shipping cost quite a bit.

Not wanting to create discourse (at least not this time 😆) but if the boys down under cant get their heads together on the opportunity to save on postage then they should pay the 30 dollar penalty to have it shipped individually. If I had a 63 I would grab one for a "just in case". But if I knew there were 3 sitting somewhere, I would let mine sit there free of charge til need was warranted. Why should Jim have 200ish held up (maybe forever) til the need arises times three.

Just doesn't sound fair to Jim.

Agreed! not great Jim has offered to hold over such expense. 

Mine in car is Okay and not sure where the A/C install is going to take the controls at this stage. One certainty is the Heater core, Blower and duct are going as RHD conversion /brake booster created too much damage to the original set up. 

That said I will take one of the levers even if it stays in my tool kit or goes to someone else in the future to assist the task for Jim, lets hope 2 more can come through and finalise the deal...

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

If you are putting a Vintage Air system in there is no stress on the arms. If your arms are still in good shape you shouldn’t need to replace them.

Ray, You mean slide potentiometers instead of rotary pots in-place of cables for Vintage Air.

I've seen Don's post on Vintage Air Gen IV using the Vintage Air controls on the '63 console (image). But, what does the new control panel control to the blender doors? Electrical, bowden cables or vacuum hoses? Obviously the Fan would be a switch.

He states the original '63 HVAC controls remain in-place but obviously de-commissioned.

image.png.079ba157b23969bd425ef45435216522.png

Yes the sliders are an option you can do rather than an after market control mounted in the center console.  Drop the control panel, remove the cables as they are not needed anymore but save the cable ends to hold the sliders to the panel, pick three positions that will be the controls for the A/C. I also moved the kick panel vent controls up to the panel so that is also an option. Very clean and looks stock.  

Ray

BE7FE23E-ADBA-4AB1-B107-E4A4AD423C5C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2022 at 5:33 AM, Jim Cannon said:

Hi Jim,

As you know:

I offered earlier to be the middleman for a once only delivery to Australia with a forward from me to any other Down Under in need of this lever, all to assist in postage savings. I also arranged for an email to be sent out in September ( screen copy attached). I haven’t heard from anyone from that email although I saw that Dundee is interested above in the Forum. I am still happy to assist with this if it happens in the next week but not any later as I will be moving in February to Queensland.

I don’t think sending a package with levers that hasn’t been paid is the way to go. It is a risk for you and a potential headache for me. What I will do is as follows if OK  by you:

I will send you payment for one and full payment for the postage tomorrow over PayPal ( assuming you use the same PayPal as a few years ago). If you have anyone else Down Under that pays you for one lever excluding postage (and max 4) and this happens before end of next week then you can bundle that together in the package that needs to be sent asap as I move on 3rd of February. If you then send me their contact information then I will ask the others to send me enough to cover their part of the postage from USA and from me to them (which can differ depending on how many if any that piggyback on my order). Ok?

97C9772C-A9EC-4BCE-A0AA-0FA0FA728D0F.png

• Thanks 1

Yes, Jan, that's a fine plan.  Please PayPal to me 105 USD and I will send you a lever.  If anyone else (Dundee?) wants to join in at 85 USD for a lever, I will refund 20 USD to you (half the postage).

My PayPal is unchanged: 63Rivvy (at) gmail (dot) com

I will get your lever out to you next Friday, Dec. 30.  That gives anyone who wants a new lever one week to join in on this mailing.

Thanks for the offer to receive and resend.  I'm a bit surprised there were not more takers.

2 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Yes, Jan, that's a fine plan.  Please PayPal to me 105 USD and I will send you a lever.  If anyone else (Dundee?) wants to join in at 85 USD for a lever, I will refund 20 USD to you (half the postage).

My PayPal is unchanged: 63Rivvy (at) gmail (dot) com

I will get your lever out to you next Friday, Dec. 30.  That gives anyone who wants a new lever one week to join in on this mailing.

Thanks for the offer to receive and resend.  I'm a bit surprised there were not more takers.

Hi Jim,

I have transferred the $105 USD through PayPal and sent you an email. Let's see if there are any more takers.

Have a great Christmas, I will have mine when the lever arrives.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:16 PM, BulldogDriver said:

Yes the sliders are an option you can do rather than an after market control mounted in the center console.

Aaah, thanks Ray. Your setup is much better than de-commissioning original HVAC controls and punching-in a hole for some generic panel. My project is FrankenRiv enough!

Would you have more info on those sliders? Part numbers?

I  favour oldair.com. They are always helpful and supply original replacement vacuum actuators (half plastic I know), complete cable set for 1963 Buicks, STV conversions and colour striped vacuum hoses. The few times I consulted with Vintage Air, they never offered slider controls. Just rip and tear out the OE system and install theirs. It is good to procrastinate. A better solution always comes later.

Pretty sure the sliders will only work on a Vintage Air conversion. If you download their catalog it has all of the parts  needed for an install. If you do a search for Vintage Air on the forum it will give you more info then one would think, 11 pages was what I saw. A word of caution,  the original radio would not fit with a Gen 4 evaporator because of the original defroster vents placement. Had to go with an aftermarket unit, Resto Manufacturing, but they have a weak display in sunlight. If you leave the kick panel vent’s controls in their original location, there won’t be any cables used on the control panel. 

Ray

1 hour ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Hi Jim,

I have transferred the $105 USD through PayPal and sent you an email. Let's see if there are any more takers.

Have a great Christmas, I will have mine when the lever arrives.

Down under,

you Victorians need to stop migrating North!😂😎

where are you heading in Queensland? If Gold Coast I am there quite a few times a year so maybe could PayPal Jim 65usd then pick up and hand you some AUD for % of that freight. I see some difference between your plan and Jim’s Re the freight and lots of refunding and currency changing in Jim’s proposal.
As I said I am not really in need at the moment for the part but was happy to try and make up the numbers and if I am a holder of one of those into the future should someone need it, fine.

Dundee

4 hours ago, Dundee said:

Down under,

you Victorians need to stop migrating North!😂😎

where are you heading in Queensland? If Gold Coast I am there quite a few times a year so maybe could PayPal Jim 65usd then pick up and hand you some AUD for % of that freight. I see some difference between your plan and Jim’s Re the freight and lots of refunding and currency changing in Jim’s proposal.
As I said I am not really in need at the moment for the part but was happy to try and make up the numbers and if I am a holder of one of those into the future should someone need it, fine.

Dundee

Hi Dundee,

we are going a little bit further north to the Sunshine Coast.

it is fine by me if you only pay for the lever, we can fix up the postage both from USA and, if needed, in Australia later. You are correct that there are too many extra fees to be paid to PayPal otherwise.

15 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Aaah, thanks Ray. Your setup is much better than de-commissioning original HVAC controls and punching-in a hole for some generic panel. My project is FrankenRiv enough!

Would you have more info on those sliders? Part numbers?

I  favour oldair.com. They are always helpful and supply original replacement vacuum actuators (half plastic I know), complete cable set for 1963 Buicks, STV conversions and colour striped vacuum hoses. The few times I consulted with Vintage Air, they never offered slider controls. Just rip and tear out the OE system and install theirs. It is good to procrastinate. A better solution always comes later.

I used the sliders from vintage air (there tech department was very helpful)on my 63.The kit they sent me is 1961-62 Chevrolet impala control panel conversion kit 471062.Follow Ray's instructions,he was very helpful with my instulation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dundee said:

Okay nice!!

I will sort a lever payment out with Jim! Figure the rest out when you get settled or I meet you on the road as you go past 😜
are you transporting the 63?

Merry Christmas 🎄 

OK, so I will send 2 levers to Jan next Friday.  We will see if anyone else wants to join in.

Thanks.