1927 Star coupe-looking for community feedback

pgb123

I am looking for feedback and information on a 1927 Star. I am interested in in the car for its history as the car is running and is in good shape.

I would like to hear from star owners about their car experience and have visited the https://www.dmacweb.com.  I am well aware that this is known as an assembled car and am trying to understand what does the L- head designation mean? I have looked on the website links and would like to know if the community can recommend engine, drive train, etc. suppliers for this car.

Thank you for your help- Paul

I don't own a Star but have helped a friend's widow get one running after a long slumber. It's got a Continental engine, a very common and reliable power plant that was used in tractor and industrial applications also. The L head or flathead configuration indicates that the valves are in the block, beside the pistons. As to parts sources, I'm sure someone else on this forum will be able to direct you there. Jim

1927 Star touring 1.JPG

9 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

I don't own a Star but have helped a friend's widow get one running after a long slumber. It's got a Continental engine, a very common and reliable power plant that was used in tractor and industrial applications also. The L head or flathead configuration indicates that the valves are in the block, beside the pistons. As to parts sources, I'm sure someone else on this forum will be able to direct you there. Jim

1927 Star touring 1.JPG

They used a Continental Red Seal engine which was used literally for decades in fork lifts and industrial generators and air compressors.

4 hours ago, pgb123 said:

Thank you for the feedback. I found out from the owner that the engine is a model m. This is great stuff and I hope other people will have input- Thanks Paul

Paul:

Durant Motors, Inc for 1927 fielded two series of cars, the Model M four cylinder and the Model R six cylinder.  The Model M sold in price competition to the concurrent Chevrolet.

The Star was Durant Motors popular priced offering meant to compete with low priced cars like Ford and  Chevrolet.

Durant Motors was the third car company started by William C. Durant. He started by forming General Motors, lost control of the company, started a new company called Chevrolet then leveraged the Chevrolet stock to take back control of GM. After losing control of GM a second time he started Durant Motors.

The Star was popular in its day and quite a few seem to have survived. This is a little surprising to me as the motor was sought after for conversions like boat motors, and stationary engines to drive saw rigs, water pumps, electrical generators etc. This was because the motor was completely separate from the transmission making it easy to adapt to a belt or chain drive. And it was not too big. Back in the day many Stars were scrapped for the motor. Yet there are numerous Stars still on the road which speaks well for their durability.

A friend of mine is a long time owner of a 1927 Star sedan. If you wish to give me your phone number in a private message I could ask him to call you.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Continental Motors was one of the biggest manufacturers of engines.  They made them for cars, trucks, tractors, industrial power plants, marine engines, airplanes and military vehicles. They were a reliable quality product from 1905 to the late sixties. Given the large number made, I would think parts would be available but can't say for sure.

Some well known cars that used Continental motors included Durant, Star, Checker taxicabs, Kaiser, Frazer, Graham, more than 100 makes of cars trucks and tractors.

There was a Star coupe that was for sale on Ebay. The car was/is (???) for sale in Maine. I contacted the owner, and he told me quite a bit about the car. It was bought and been in his family. Had original bill of sale, and other documentation.

He appeared that he wanted to sell it and now may back down because of other family members do not want him to sell a family car.

I like a car with a good original car with history. The history of this car and all its documentation was impressive.

I have had a variety of cars over time, and I recently was able to purchase an early 1926 Chevy Touring car. I am the third owner of it. I have a good background as model t ford mechanic and have had a few of them. The Chevy has been great fun for me, and I wanted one of Durant’s other cars to learn from and keep alive.

This is the reason why I wanted to ask for more information about any car I am interested in before I purchase it.

This is why I like the AACA as there are so many people willing to help a fellow car nut. -Paul