Highland Inn renovation car identification

Brian Richardson

9 minutes ago, LI_BENTLEY said:

The flag is 1896 to 1908.  Yes you can use an older flag. Just an indicator of age  the cars are not olds as rear fenders are different    Center car looks like a 6 cylinder, long hood.

Car on the far right is an Olds. Look a little closer at the rear fender and other details. Everything matches.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow 😮,  I never thought about the flag!  Between flag and cars, no question that it was very near 1910.   Thanks for the help.  It seems like the only question might be the middle car.  I see the difference between lead cars rear fender and the middle car.  Thanks to everyone for your help!

Edited by Brian Richardson (see edit history)

WOW, outstanding. I taught art for decades and one of my "extra" classes for the gifted and talented kids who could take extra courses was on architecture. I also started the Architectural Review Board here in the incorporated village my family has resided in since 1924, wrote the law that encompasses consideration of a structure ( house or commercial) before mass changes occur etc. Even illustrated a booklet to hand out to people who are considering changes to make it easier to understand. My family back ground is in masonry and goes back generations in England. Thank you for your preservation efforts while taking into account the needs of modern amenities.

Walt

• Like 1

Thanks Walt,

Your comments are much appreciated!  My wife and I have been working on the Inn for several years.  We are hopeful to secure historic renovation funds soon so that the interior can be completed.  All of our architectural work has been completed.  When all is said and done, we will hand over the 6 million dollar project to a new operator in as new condition.  The operator will not have to pay anything for the building but they will be required to keep it open for future generations.  If you are ever in the mountains of Virginia, please come and see us!

Brian

Edited by Brian Richardson (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This reminds me of the Quilchena Hotel in British Columbia:  https://www.douglaslake.com/quilchena-resort

I hope the new standards and codes are not too difficult to comply with in VA, especially for the interior, which will eat up a lot of your budget.  I do see the black bars/railings on the second storey to increase the height as per regulations.

Craig

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pre10 said:

I think the other two cars are 1909 Oldsmobile Model Z.

I agree Model Z although ad with the red car that Brian Richardson found is for a four cylinder car.  My copy of The Standard catalog says only 150 were built. It doesn't list a toy tonneau body but that may have been special order. I guess quite a fast to car to ride in exposed to the elements like that - more so than in the regular touring car with doors and a windshield.

• Like 2