1951 Dodge Wayfarer Sportabout

Maybe the nicest we have seen?    Thank god I got these out of my system without buying one.  I think my fascination stemmed from the fact one of these would have been 3x cooler than my 49 Plymouth in HS.   Don't get lost in the long description.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204117778018

1951 Dodge Wayfarer - 1/1002 built. Beautifully restored in Navy Blue with Tan interior and top in the last ten years with only 3900 miles since restoration. Super rare and beautiful, drives beautifully. Possibly the finest one out there.

Options;

Radio, Clock, Visor

Picture 1 of 18

Picture 4 of 18

Picture 5 of 18

Picture 6 of 18

Picture 17 of 18

• Like 2

A flip? Seller has three other optimistically (or outrageously, depends on your perspective) priced cars on Ebay right now. This is a nice looking Wayfarer but for the near $30K asking price the engine compartment should be clean and detailed and not have modern multicolored spaghetti wiring running all over the firewall by the voltage regulator. "Possibly the finest one out there" is a pretty strong statement to make and I have my doubts. 

25 minutes ago, The 55er said:

A flip? Seller has three other optimistically (or outrageously, depends on your perspective) priced cars on Ebay right now. This is a nice looking Wayfarer but for the near $30K asking price the engine compartment should be clean and detailed and not have modern multicolored spaghetti wiring running all over the firewall by the voltage regulator. "Possibly the finest one out there" is a pretty strong statement to make and I have my doubts. 

That's a good point and I always like your comments as they seem spot on.   I just don't know what the market is and any particular person has no idea how many of these are left, some in the hands of Mopar collectors we may never see.  

Keep in mind this is a true ROADSTER.  No door side windows.  Seller does not mention if there are any side curtains for or with the car.   

Collector friend of mine had one for decades.  Even as his health declined over several years (cancer) he kept that as his last car.  He absolutely loved it for many reasons (including rarity).

Is the market as strong as the ask on this one?  I'd doubt it, but maybe.  We'll see.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, StillOutThere said:

Is the market as strong as the ask on this one?  I'd doubt it, but maybe.  We'll see.

I doubt it.  Maybe if you are a Mopar guy as mentioned and "gotta have it" but I think the potential buyer can paint with a broad brush here. 

We don't see it every day but the pool of buyers is shrinking and getting very specific.  I see a LOT of salt and pepper haired guys in modern convertibles.  25 years ago maybe they bought this kind of nostalgic ride, now they want A/C Blowing on them when it's 82 out and the top is down, or good heat, power accessories, speed.  No maintenance.  You get the picture.  

That means these go unsold a bit longer, and when sold, we seldom know the actual price.  This makes price guides worthless. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, StillOutThere said:

Keep in mind this is a true ROADSTER.  No door side windows.  Seller does not mention if there are any side curtains for or with the car.   

Collector friend of mine had one for decades.  Even as his health declined over several years (cancer) he kept that as his last car.  He absolutely loved it for many reasons (including rarity).

The side curtains were only 1949 feature.

As a 1951, this is the lowest production. And I think I would want a side curtain car or one of these as the styling is improved, at least in my eyes.

Forum member Auburn seeker is an expert on these, and he had a very nice one. It would be nice to get his comments.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1