What was original 63 air control?

Dundee

55 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Bob,

Roackauto shows an OE for a 1965 Buick Riviera.  Jim could confirm if this one is correct.

Description for FOUR SEASONS 74604: "Vacuum open Non Bypass Heater Valve" Then for Bypass?: No

Not sure how to interpret that. If I had one in my hand to inspect, easy to determine if its "Normally Open"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Bob,

Roackauto shows an OE for a 1965 Buick Riviera.  Jim could confirm if this one is correct.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=815464&cc=1319330&pt=6860&jsn=411

Ed

No, this is the opposite of what you need.  It uses vacuum to open, which means it is "normally closed".  I would bet this is what Bob has in the car now, which is incorrect.

I used Murray (Factory Air) #74603.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Cannon said:

No, this is the opposite of what you need.  It uses vacuum to open, which means it is "normally closed".  I would bet this is what Bob has in the car now, which is incorrect.

I used Murray (Factory Air) #74603.

Makes one wonder how many other parts are listed incorrectly on these websites

• Thanks 1

Gents, thanks to all for the help. The on line stores said the Murray 704643 or the number you gave said it would not work on the 63. Generally, I’m suspecting the Murray vacuum water valve would never show it fitting. Reason being is the 63 was designed for a manual water control valve. So, I have a couple of manual control valves in my parts bin I’m just going to leave in the bin.

So, I’ll report the next episode as I trudge  the road to happy destiny. Murray (Factory Air) #74603.

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

4 hours ago, gungeey said:

Wouldn't this be more 63/4 style aas opposed to vacuum?

Pit Stop Auto Group HVAC Heater Control Valve - 1790025 | eBay

valve.jpg

You might be able to make this work, but then you run the risk of breaking the Temp control lever inside the car if this valve sticks.  Or if the travel on this valve is shorter than the movement of the "blend door" in the plenum on the firewall.

Vacuum closes the other valve I recommended when the car A/C-heating system is calling for all air coming out from the dash vents.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 10:48 PM, RivNut said:

Makes one wonder how many other parts are listed incorrectly on these websites

Gents, I don’t mind telling you when the water control vacuum valve was first put 6 years ago the heat would leak out the vents. After about an hour of driving the cabin would be warm.

Now after I had no heat at all and started experimenting with taking the fog off my windshield by runnIng the AC and the heater simultaneously. I then tried the heated “Air”, “ Temp.” And AC “Air” I had plenty heat coming fro the vents.

So I said this set up is giving what I want, but spurred my natural curiosity.

I suppose I could connect my manual water control valve but 1st I must determine if the control valve is a 63 model and it does not leak.;