1955 Buick Special - 1 Family owned

TJ Flats

Couldn't really say it's one owner car but it has been in the family since purchased new in 1955 by my dad. Since 1972 it's spent more time in a barn then on the road. It has been a michigan car its entire life. I know this isn't the Classified area but I am looking to put it up for sale and can post there. I have done some research and have run into wildly varying prices. What i am hoping anyone can help me with is a starting value of what a fair price is for the car or where the best place to put it up for sale. I think i have a service manual, bill of sale and some other paperwork with it. The car is complete. Although there is not a radio in the dash, my dad had it. He had it repaired and stored it and didnt put it back in the car i'll just need to look for it. I just started to dig the car out today and see what it needs. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. image.jpeg.a6ae57cbcf599b37d5b6ce8c4740eb64.jpegimage.jpeg.ca47a0410bef4eb0f37330c7c2cb101f.jpeg

20220918_121009.jpg

• Like 1

Advice as follows:  [1] have the car detailed (not just washed) including polishing the bright work; [2] have a mechanic look the engine over and get it running (Russians and Former Soviet Union are the best and they are also usually cheaper than others); [3] remove the car outside in the sun and take many images;  and lastly [4] since the old car market is not what it used to be do not be saddened by the fact that the car likley will not fetch what it may have sold for 15 years ago.   Nice car as it looks complete and 2-doors are always more desirable. 

• Like 2

I can't put a value on it and don't mean to be discouraging but the car is not especially desired or a high value model. It is a Special, the base model. It is a sedan not a hard top or convertible. It is a salt state car and shows it by the body rust. My guess is the floor is pretty well rusted out also. In other words it's not a very good candidate for a restoration. You may find someone looking to make a "driver" out of it but the price would reflect all of the above. It looks like it may be a stick shift car and there might be some value there  if it were parted out. My guess is that's it's fate.

I wouldn't spend any money or time on it other than airing up the tires, dragging it outside and washing it.

Advertise on free venues like Craigs list, Facebook market place and right here.

Good luck with it.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TJ Flats said:

I have done some research and have run into wildly varying prices. 

Prices realized on Ebay may be useful, if there is

anything similar.  There are a number of helpful

price guides, which aren't perfect but can be a start.

My 2020 "Collector Car Price Guide" book by Krause

Publications says $2700 in #5 condition, $4500 in #4

condition.  I would say your car is a #5.

Number 5 condition is described as "Restorable:  Needs

complete restoration of body, chassis, and interior.  May or

may not be running, but isn't weathered, wrecked or stripped

to the point of being useful only for parts.

Number 4 condition is better:  "Good:  A drivable vehicle 

needing no or only minor work to be functional.  Also, a

deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration.

All components may need restoration to be excellent, but

the vehicle is mostly usable 'as is.' "

• Like 1

Here are some price guides for antique cars:

---Old Cars Report Price Guide.  Issued 6 times

a year;  often available on newsstands.  Published by

the same company that produced the 2020 book

I mentioned.

---NADA.  They produce a sizable book just for

antique cars.  They also have some prices on their

internet site.

---Hagerty.  They have a small price-guide book

which doesn't cover all models.  They also have data

available on their internet site.  They insure antique cars

as their main business.

My thoughts are as follows:  The US Dollar is worth now about 65% of what it was worth a few years past. In the future the dollar's value will likely sink further due to inflation. Hence, $4,500 is not what is used to be.  $4,500 back a few years ago is more like $5,500 today as everything is higher. I believe that the car which appears to have been taken care of in a humid area STATE (unlike Arizona or CA) has a value much higher than $4,500 and that takes into consideration that it is a base "Special". 

Mr. or Mrs. Flats:  The "wildly varying" prices you

say you've encountered are likely just asking prices.

It's common to see asking prices for all sorts of

cars in all sorts of condition far, far off their true value.

Some are double actual value, and are simply absurd.

So never judge by asking prices.  Prices realized are

a better indication, especially if you find several to

form an average.

And if you want to keep the car and restore it, since

it's a family item, be aware of restoration costs.  

You will NEVER come close to recouping your 

expenditure, but you may choose to spend many

tens of thousands of dollars for the enjoyment

of the finished project.  Otherwise, you will be MUCH

farther ahead by buying a car already in excellent

condition for $15,000 or $20,000.  For the latter price,

a 1955 Buick Special 2-door sedan should be virtually perfect.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone on the input I appreciate it. Pretty much confirmed my thoughts. 

When I mentioned "researched and wildly varying prices", i was looking for similar condition and sold prices but couldn't find anything i was comfortable with. Thank you, John for the price guide info and i will take a look at the websites mentioned. I am not looking to get top dollar or give it away. Just a reasonable price that both the buyer and I will be happy with.

I'll just add a little more detail for what its worth:

• 1955 Buick Special Sedan
    • V8, 3 Speed manual
  • Everything is still there down to jack and spare tire in the trunk and NOS chrome bezel for the gas door that was never installed.
  • It ran without issue, before we stored it.
  • Purchased new by my dad originally, 1955, then Grandfather when drafted. why i didn't say one owner. 
  • No major accidents that i ever heard told of.

My dad used to drive it around town for fun. We drove into the barn and slid it to the side for storage. I planned on driving it out under its own power, which I think it should do. I'll need a new battery as 

a post is loose in the battery itself. So, if all goes well, i'll wash her and clean it up a bit make it presentable. I am just struggling to get a nice clean 1951 M38 jeep fired up that was parked next to it at the moment, (Weak spark and seems slow to turn over). 

1 hour ago, TJ Flats said:

...I planned on driving it out under its own power, which I think it should do. I'll need a new battery as 

a post is loose in the battery itself. 

It sounds as if you have mechanical skills.  Good!

How long has the Buick gone without being started

or driven?  It may need more than a battery, and

others can tell you a good procedure to make it

functional without doing damage.

I would say that "Old Cars Report Price Guide"

is the most used price guide.  They cover all models,

unlike some of the others.  Their magazine-style

price guide will be much more informative than looking

on the internet.  Being able to page through it, seeing

how prices vary from model to model, year to year,

and between different body styles, is far more educational

than merely looking at one line displayed on a screen.

https://oldcarsreportpriceguide.secure.darwin.cx/K**B41C

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Thanks, any input on a start up procedure would be helpful. It been about 10 to 15 years in storage I would guess. I would guess / bet that it was fogged with an oil can of 30w oil while running before stored. He would lay up engines like that before storage. A little concerned what fuel is left in it. Knowing him tho he may have drained what he could from the carb by removing the fuel line. That's a guess but he was a stickler about leaving fuel in the carb and tank of anything. He did add a marine fuel separator in line mounted on the wheel well so he could change it easily. I remember he was getting some crap from the tank.

Think about reviving the Buick as multiple systems.  It clearly has family and sentimental value!  Once it's sold, it may get cut up for parts and be gone forever.  Slowly work thru the "systems" below:

Fuel system:

1. Definitely remove the fuel tank and replace it (probably cheaper!) or have it professionally cleaned and sealed.  

2. Blow out the fuel line from front to back with compressed air.

3. Remove carb and have it professionally rebuilt.

4. Carefully take out every spark plug and add two tablespoons of ATF to each cylinder.  Let it rest a few days.

5. Slowly turn the engine over by hand.  Don't use the starter!  Do this until the engine spins freely.

6. I'll let others chime in with additional tasks.  

Cooling system:

Brakes:

Suspension:

Wiring/Charging:  

• Like 2

Clean it up and try to get it running. Post your adventures here. You'll get tons of advice, some may even be useful. In the end, you may decide to keep it. A non-running neglected car won't get anyone but lowballers to show up. 

Personally, I love 2 door sedans. Snobs be damned!!!

Edited by drhach (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I am in the minority here ...

Basically the car has sat unused in a barn for 50 years.

Pass it along as a project to someone else willing to take it on.

Putting energy - be it time or money or both - will not guarantee you a financial return.

Sell it " as is sits " with no warranty express or implied.

A clear title that is current would add value.

Good Luck !

JIm

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

How much do you and the family think you should get for the car? Or a price you would be happy with.

He's asking US because he trusts our knowledge.

We have the expertise he seeks.

If someone had an 18th century painting in the living room

that had been in the family for generations, he wouldn't 

call the Metropolitan Museum and expect them to ask him,

"How much does your family think it's worth?"  

Update:

Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations. Like I posted earlier, she runs really well, fires right up. Went to back her out of the barn, to give a wash, and found the clutch won't disengage and the adjustment in the linkage is already at max. Good news is that I found a new home for her with a close family friend that would like to have it and has a place to store it. At some point we'll fix the clutch issue and make a driver out of it.

Thanks again everyone, I'll still be lurking around the forum as this has been a great resource. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1