1940 Buick model 46S Radiator Removal?

53 New Yorker

It seems like this should be an "easy" task to accomplish, but usually when I think that something will be easy, it turns out to be the opposite.

I've looked in the 1940 Buick Shop Manual, and it seems vague and Chiltons was useless.....

Can anyone shed some light on how I go about removing the radiator from a 1940 Buick? (before I end up breaking something...LOL)

Cheers, and thank you!

Bill W.

IMG_0034.JPG

Edited by 53 New Yorker
would like to follow this (see edit history)

OK.......  GREAT ADVICE!  Thank you Dave's....

I've been looking the situation over for a few days now... and it is the Hood Removal part that has me scratching my head.

I found a nut, way up under the cowl at the front of the vent opening, just like the book says... for the rear anchor point...

BUT... it is at the front end that I am confused.

I'm not sure how to get the stainless-steel trim piece to disconnect (you know the one, it runs from the cowl all the way over the front "nose" and down behind the front emblem.  Remove the emblem too? 

Do I have to take off the hood ornament too? How many fasteners are under the front end of the hood.?  What is actually holding it down?

I do see the 6 bolts along the sides of the actual radiator, and they seem pretty straight forward.  I've drained the system, and I've taken off the pump and that housing with the bypass valve and thermostat and removed the hoses.

I guess I really should have asked about Hood Removal... as opposed to radiator removal.....

thanks in advance....

Edited by 53 New Yorker
added more to the question (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My '38 has a break in the stainless trim right behind the hood ornament.  The front bolt sticks down and goes through a hole in the support bar that passes over the radiator (the one you need to tip the radiator back to clear).

The stainless center hinge stays with the hood.  There are three attachment points at the front, you indicate that you found the one in the rear.  One attachment point in the front has two bolts, actually sheet metal bolts (?); one on each side of the hood and two others further forward with just one bolt.  It is best to secure moving pads or quilts across your fenders and to have two or three people help with hood removal.  The loosened hood will want to fold back on itself if you aren't careful.  One person is best on each side of the hood and anther working the center section to keep it from folding.  Of course, prepare a place on the floor to set the hood down before you have all three people holding the hood.IMG_6838.JPG.253a14da36cf4d36e2ff1d3393b9a354.JPGIMG_6839.JPG.3cbe5a03c492a22ac514e7ac5b6fd1f4.JPG

IMG_6837 (1).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/17/2022 at 10:22 AM, Morgan Wright said:

Be careful of the emblem, when I removed the radiator in my '40 Special I screwed it up, broke it somehow and it was never right again. Be careful!

40Buick.jpg

Hi Morgan,  The emblems are available through CARS, LLC  their web address is www.oldbuickparts.com Part #  GE40   Not a cheap part, but if you have a perfect Buick, and want a perfect emblem, you can have one.

Thanks to everyone, the hood is off, and the radiator is out for a cleaning at minimum, or a re-core at worst.  It didn't pass the flow test!  Could hardly get any water to drain through it... a gentle trickle isn't what Buick intended, I'm sure!  LOL

This is absolutely a 2 person job... and when it is time to put the hood back on, I'm going to get a 3rd involved.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1