Nevada classic car law changes

f.f.jones

12 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

My point is that when one posts a superficial topic with a provocative title, all the angry ranters and band-wagoners never look at the full picture, but only jump on the band wagon and wail away about big government without bothering to take the time to research anything. That is why I encourage moderators not to tolerate this "baiting" game

Hey! I saw that on the TV news last night. The liberal station did that then said "After this" and tried to sell me an extended car warranty and brain food from jellyfish. I switched to the conservative station and they did the same thing. Pretty sure both did it for money. Not for my entertainment like here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, John348 said:

The Nevada DMV is going after the individuals who do abuse it.  Just because the vehicle is 25 years old or older does not mean it is being used as a collector vehicle. If the owner want's to use it as an every day vehicle then pay the same road use fee and insurance as everyone else, if it is a collector vehicle then they are entitled to discounts that apply, but they should not be shaming the system. 5,000 miles for a collector vehicle is a lot. It seems like you just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

Tha is exactly how I interpreted it when I first read it; simply a clampdown on abuse.  

In Nevada, one can get away driving a collector car more often than here, with little, if any snow in winter and not a lot of rain, which makes for a high survival rate of cars in the 25-40 year old range.  In Alberta those with antique plates have not abused the privelege as the consequences of abusing the vintage car itself by driving it in winter salt is far higher.  And here, cars do show their age after 25 years.

Craig

• Thanks 1

Well- we have to stay on top of what lawmakers are doing that might affect our old cars and other things, because it's a lot harder to get rid of bad law than it is to make it. What we in Virginia got smacked with in 2007 proved that. When the dust settled and the financial projections attached to that bill surfaced, it was readily apparent it had nothing to do with getting questionable antique plates off the roads but was, instead, nothing but a money grab.

What really burned me up was the legislator who introduced and sponsored it calls himself a "car guy" 🙄. I may end up back in his House district. If I do I will again hammer him without remorse. You cannot sit back and let these people have free rein. Gideon Tucker nailed it- "no man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session".

Yeah, I'm one who goes to county supervisor and planning commission meetings as an "interested observer".😈

I'm still a little uncomfortable with the classic insurance angle as it smacks of collusion with insurance companies.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I'm still a little uncomfortable with the classic insurance angle as it smacks of collusion with insurance companies.

Glenn,

It is a lot better then the insurance companies deciding that they are not writing policies in certain states for cars of that age group, so at least they are still accommodating those who are not attempting to defraud them, which they could easily do.  The insurance companies know how many claims they are receiving and the time of day that those incidents are occurring,  If anything this a positive thing for hobbyist. The Nevada DMV is differentiating a hobby use vehicle from an every day use vehicle of the same vintage rather then squashing the entire program, I believe in NYS when my cars were registered there I had to have proof of historical insurance to receive HX or historical plates     

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 10:45 AM, John348 said:

Is it still a 1932 (whatever) when you put in a modern drivetrain on a modern chassis? Maybe that is where the entire problem lays? Where it really is a street rod and the only vintage part of it the paperwork and the VIN

John just thinking your post further. Where do you go from there if you have one of those old street rods?  Glad you and I own 348/409s

robert