Scam Alert - Domongoe Scott - Hayward or San Leandro CA

Dan Buchacher

I thought I was smart enough by now to recognize and avoid a scam, but evidently not - I got taken for $200 today by "Domongoe Scott",  of Hayward CA, or San Leandro CA, who contacted me relative to some parts I was looking for from this site.  Once he had the money in hand, no parts sent and no more contact.  I have not been able to find him here on the AACA site under that name, but it is likely he is here under another name or picking up phone numbers from WTB posts.   Watch out for this guy... His telephone number is currently 510 331 2130

A guy from the same phone number tried to scam me last week.  Kept the dialog going until I asked him to send photos of the parts we were discussing.  Then all of a sudden, did not hear from him again.  I noted that he never gave me his name; a definite red flag.  Sorry you got taken.  Perhaps lucky it was only $200.

10 hours ago, Dan Buchacher said:

... I have not been able to find him here on the AACA site under that name, but it is likely he is here under another name or picking up phone numbers from WTB posts. ...

Sorry to hear you got scammed, but when you put your phone number in a WTB post on an open forum like this you are asking for a stranger to call you and that is what happened.  

He is probably not a member of this forum, nor does he need to be a member to grab your phone number off your WTB post and call you. If he was a forum member and contacted you by private message moderators could ban him, but since he contacted you by phone there is nothing we can do.

38 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sorry to hear you got scammed, but when you put your phone number in a WTB post on an open forum like this you are asking for a stranger to call you and that is what happened.  

I maintain that ads NEED some contact information.

Don't let the tiny percentage of scammers defeat the

entire purpose of the ad--which is to buy or sell an item.

Sending a Private Message is very limiting.  Newcomers

aren't permitted to do so on many forums.  Further, an

avid collector may see an ad on a forum which he hasn't

joined.  Most Hemmings ads include phone numbers.

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Sending a Private Message is very limiting.  Newcomers aren't permitted to do so on many forums.

Newcomers aren't allowed to post private messages on this forum either. There is a reason for that. It's because the moderators here try to do what we can to keep our forum members from being scammed.  Sorry if you disagree with that. If you ever get scammed out of several hundred dollars you may see it differently.

• Like 1

Sad as it is, those who are using the net to buy and sell need to do all that's possible to protect themselves. There are many previous threads here about how easily it can happen.  Buyer-beware remains the most important piece of the puzzle.

Terry

• Like 2

Thanks folks - I sure take full personal  responsibility for getting scammed, the man was very good at sounding convincing and truthful, and I suckered for it.  I just want to point out though, the forum instructions for Buy/Sell do include adding one's phone number to the posting, as well as email, etc,  and even further says if the instructions and formats are not followed that the posting can be deleted without warning.   I would never blame anyone else but myself, but maybe those instructions should be revised going forward, to suggest that members not include phone numbers in the ad

In the end I agree, it is certainly Buyer Beware tho..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan Buchacher said:

Thanks folks - I sure take full personal  responsibility for getting scammed...I would never blame anyone else but myself...

Dan, never blame yourself.  We don't blame victims.

We blame criminals, and they deserve all the blame

and all the prosecution that can be had.