In defense of upside down Landau Irons

John Kelso

Typically many convertible coupes had tie down straps to secure folded top to body ( sometimes pullman loops at back of front seat and or a strap to a rear deck cleat (see photo of 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster). Now just how often they were used is another question. 

ChryImage (3).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

Typically many convertible coupes had tie down straps to secure folded top to body ( sometimes pullman loops at back of front seat and or a strap to a rear deck cleat (see photo of 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster). Now just how often they were used is another question. 

ChryImage (3).jpg

That photo is a good illustration of just how little trunk space there is with the rumble seat in place. My Studebaker has not had the seat made and I think I will leave it that way so that I can make use of the trunk space - for picnic chairs etc.

• Like 3

My last contribution to this topic, will leave the rest up to the experts. This is a cropped section of a large linen backed  photo of a 1918 Locomobile in an original hard cover Dealer's Album I have in my collection issued by Locomobile for its New York City dealership located at the southern edge of Central Park just west of Columbus Circle. Note the painted landau irons and the car also had painted windshield frames ( front and rear , since it is a double cowl dual windshield tourer)

LOCOtop1918.jpg

• Like 7

Seeing that my 32 olds is a convertible coupe, I will add what I learned in my research and restoration of the car. I also have copy of the original roof instructions supplied by pontiac which used the exact same roof as the Olds, chevy, and 50 series Buick for at least for the 31-32 model years. With the joint on the bottom of the landau bar, the roof will NOT fold correctly. I will look to see if I have a copy of the folding directions in my photos.

• Like 1