For Sale: 1957 Buick Century 2-door Hardtop - Shell Beige - Three-piece rear window - Eugene, OR - Not Mine - 9/18 Reduced

For sale on Facebook: 1957 Buick Century 2-door Hardtop in Eugene, OR  -  $18,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 9/18, Seller reduced price to $17,500

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1125736504686084/1957-Buick-Centruy-Hardtop

Seller's Description:

1957 Buick Century 2-door Hardtop

• Driven 6,236 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Beige · Interior color: Black
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

1957 Buick Century 2 Door Runs and drives good 364 Nailhead V-8 Dynaflo 2 speed Automatic transmission Newer tires *We do not know the mileage, as it has probably rolled over. See picture

image.png.ecd2c0e86ac75a92dbe800baa538994f.png

image.png.c97169b5452db4a71cfd6d10fafb768f.png

image.png.210786948da269ebab82746a9d516eb1.png

image.png.55ead4c01f99fa318f01c5e1eb119a48.png

image.png.6973e130ccb90ff9b742e5f4d522cf6f.png

image.png.be71d1520a8e49fd8c112422552e1488.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update price (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I have a '57 Century, and any potential buyer should

know that the interior is at least partially incorrect.

The cloth in the seats is wrong.  Moreover, the door

panels are wrong, because they would not have been

3-toned red, white, and black.

Agreed... it's totally redone and everything about it that I can see is incorrect.

Also, what's the ducting in the trunk?  I know it's not original but can't imagine what it's for...

9 hours ago, lancemb said:

Agreed... it's totally redone and everything about it that I can see is incorrect.

Also, what's the ducting in the trunk?  I know it's not original but can't imagine what it's for...

and the 2 tall vents on rear shelf?,      and 2 flat lower vents on rear shelf?     probably hooked up to the ducting in the trunk.

Could it be for the add-on air conditioning?         or the added what looks like heater control valve? 

Bob

That ducting is surely for A/C. The way it's aimed, I would hate be in the back seat. Your neck would be a giant icicle. 

Maybe someone can answer, what are the models that had the three piece rear window? It seems like they show up for all models. I would have thought they would have been for one particular model.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:47 PM, drhach said:

Maybe someone can answer, what are the models that had the three piece rear window? 

All Special and Century 2-door and 4-door models

had the 3-piece rear window.  General Motors may

have considered it stylish, but others derided it as

retrograde.  "Suddenly it's 1949!" competitors exclaimed.

The Roadmasters could be had with either a 3-piece

or a one-piece rear window.  With a 3-piece rear window,

a chrome strip ran over the roof and down the trunk.

Here's a picture of Roadmaster Model 76-R from the internet:

1957 Buick Roadmaster 76-R.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

All Special and Century 2-door and 4-door models

had the 3-piece rear window.  General Motors may

have considered it stylish, but others derided it as

retrograde.  "Suddenly it's 1949!" competitors exclaimed.

The Roadmasters could be had with either a 3-piece

or a one-piece rear window.  With a 3-piece rear window,

a chrome strip ran over the roof and down the trunk.

Here's a picture of Roadmaster Model 76-R from the internet:

1957 Buick Roadmaster 76-R.jpg

The Roadmaster (models 76 and 73) with this design actually had a single rear window with trim running over the glass to give the appearance of a 3-piece window.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nice fairly original looking, straight Century from the outside...

Interior is pretty unfortunate.  A whole smattering of issues as mentioned above.  Having spent a lot of time in a '57 Century with no AC years ago, I wonder, was it all worth it to modify the car to this degree to install aftermarket AC?  

I would not have done it, but to each their own.  Put the windows down, open the vent windows and it all adds to the experience.

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1957 Buick Century 2-door Hardtop - Shell Beige - Three-piece rear window - Eugene, OR - Not Mine - 9/18 Reduced

I’ve always been a fan of the 3 piece rear windows but also the reverse cant of the C bodies whether Buick or Cadillac.  It’s called styling.  Harley Earl always promoted the ques that gave a car a distinct appearance.  That influenced Mitchell too.  The split window Vette and the Boattail Riviera were derided.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Trunk mounted A/C Evaporator allowed for a larger core with more efficient cooling capability,

and the condensate leaked directly to the ground instead of leaky rotting old under/behind-dash hoses which could ruin carpeting, cause rust in the front floors, etc-

more like the earlier Cadillac/Pontiac/Lincoln, etc. Of course those models had clear (later discolored) plastic tube-ducts to channel cooled air into the roof, to be carried toward the forward occupants.