looking for information on 1928 chrysler brake fluid reservoir

has anybody got a diagram of brake cylinder reservoir whitch is mounted on firewall

of 1928 chrysler 72 i need to reaseal mine the old seal looks to have been leather

I know the plunger rod is pointed to seal in the bottom fitting when screwed down

but i am unable to find information on the leather seal size Iwould be gratefull for any help

kSvOmmEFAY8lQal69Lhpl9F3pwljUfI2RbR3vUB2.jpg

Hi again, I feel bad I said to do this and you still did not get any answers.  However, I know this topic has been discussed before so if you search the forums you will find something.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leomara said:

Hi again, I feel bad I said to do this and you still did not get any answers.  However, I know this topic has been discussed before so if you search the forums you will find something.  

HI leomara dont feel bad any helps always a positive in my book

brake reservoir is just one of lots of small problems with my car

thanks  JOHN

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Cow or horse leather. It was cut a little bit larger than the part pointed at.

The seal must fit snugly into the tube in the bottom of the canister.

You may be better off looking for an O ring that will fit'

thumbnail_IMG_1808.jpg.69a7d2ebda9092a2fa3a2f4e0ee843c2.jpg

HI 28 Chrysler. thanks for your input I like your suggestion of an O ring

will measure bottom tube and fit one

once again advice from here helping me finish my car thanks

If one looks carefully at the washer marked with an arrow in 28 Chryslers post above, it has 3 holes in it. These holes I'm pretty sure worked as some kind of non return valve, so an O ring or similar I don't think will work. I've been thinking about it, my 28 model 52 ran for years without any type of seal but you had to keep releasing that Tee handle regularly to purge the system to get the pedal pressure back.

Thinking more about it, it would make sense to have had some kind of leather washer in there that would allow fluid to pass thru those 3 holes when moved one way and then close off the holes when moved the other way, sort of to act as a one way valve. Based on this theory, I think it would be big enough to seal inside the bore, but be of a thickness that would allow it to flex. Hope this makes sense. As to its original thickness and diameter, I too would like to know.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2022 at 10:30 PM, viv w said:

If one looks carefully at the washer marked with an arrow in 28 Chryslers post above, it has 3 holes in it. These holes I'm pretty sure worked as some kind of non return valve, so an O ring or similar I don't think will work. I've been thinking about it, my 28 model 52 ran for years without any type of seal but you had to keep releasing that Tee handle regularly to purge the system to get the pedal pressure back.

Thinking more about it, it would make sense to have had some kind of leather washer in there that would allow fluid to pass thru those 3 holes when moved one way and then close off the holes when moved the other way, sort of to act as a one way valve. Based on this theory, I think it would be big enough to seal inside the bore, but be of a thickness that would allow it to flex. Hope this makes sense. As to its original thickness and diameter, I too would like to know.

HI VIV W  

Now you have pointed out the three holes in the plunger flange which I missed

I agree with you (some kind of valve) 

I have also found parts of the seal in the reservoir and it was defiantly a leather seal

I will now try to make a suitable leather cup type seal 

There is so little information available for this set up I don't suppose we will ever no the true configuration

but going back to the three holes in plunger rod Chrysler put them there for a reason

your thoughts on that sort of fit the reason

thanks

JOHN

thumbnail_IMG_1808.jpg

I've been looking at my reservoir "T" handle on my series 62, there is no seal remains and I do not think there is even room for a seal on the shaft. The tank had a lot of brake fluid inside it and the pipe to the master cylinder had been removed decades ago. When I unscrewed the T handle completely from the bottom union, nothing came out the bottom until I lifted the handle slightly, then it poured out. I dropped the handle back down and the fluid stopped immediately, even before I screwed it into the bottom union. I am now of the opinion that there is NO seal at the bottom of the T handle, the steel washer and that part with the 3 holes are a sort of one way valve and need nothing else. I stand to be corrected

Viv.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If you are concerned about cleaning the inside out, I brought some parts up to a place in Conn. called American Dry Strip.  These guys have been in business for years and I've always found their work to be excellent.  They stripped my wood spoke wheels by alternately taping the wheel and the spokes and using different abrasives on each.  They also cleaned my brake fluid tank on the inside without opening it up.  They are a class act.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I’m looking for additional information on this reservoir system. I’m trying to make mine function again but cannot tell how the pieces that seal in the tube are assembled, as they had fallen off inside the reservoir and I had to retrieve them with a magnet when doing my initial inspection when I bought the car. Any details regarding how the three-holed disk, leather seal, and clip are held in place on the rod would be immensely appreciated. Thanks 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Noble_Bluejacket said:

Hi, I’m looking for additional information on this reservoir system. I’m trying to make mine function again but cannot tell how the pieces that seal in the tube are assembled, as they had fallen off inside the reservoir and I had to retrieve them with a magnet when doing my initial inspection when I bought the car. Any details regarding how the three-holed disk, leather seal, and clip are held in place on the rod would be immensely appreciated. Thanks 

HI Welcome to the forum

I have not got round to rebuilding mine

I need to make a leather seal yet 

thumbnail_IMG_1808.jpg