insurance carrier that doesn't require a "4-sided locked garage"

Bill Noble

for 40 years I had a policy with JC taylor that covered 5 or 6 cars, then a few years ago they just cancelled, refused to renew saying that all cars they insure (in my area, Los Angeles, at least) must be in a "4-sided locked garage".  The only car in the garage is my 36 cad, one of the less valuable ones but the one I've been working on for a bunch of years.  I suppose I could rent a garage or space in a garage but then it would be a inconvenience to get to the cars and I wouldn't be able to work on them if I wanted to.  I have tried every other classic car insurance company with the exact same result - "sure we will cover you" followed by "they are in a garage, aren't they?"    any suggestions?

Bill, I think your only option is regular car insurance as opposed to classic car insurance.  One of the reasons why “classic” car insurance is so much more reasonable is they have requirements that cuts their risk. Storing cars outside of a locked garage makes them much more vulnerable to theft and vandalism especially in or near large cities.

• Like 2

After 40 years…….and if you have not had any losses, maybe it’s time to self insure and just buy liability?

45 minutes ago, edinmass said:

After 40 years…….and if you have not had any losses, maybe it’s time to self insure and just buy liability?

I don’t know that I’d want to self insure either or both of his Cadillacs. I also don’t know that I’d want to store either Cadillac outside.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in SoCal east of LA and have AAAA for mine. AAA itself doesn’t cover classic cars; they have a subsidiary (can’t remember name) that does. One car is stored in a carport, the other in a fully enclosed car canopy.  They are both in the backyard behind a six-foot wooden fence with padlocked gates for security (and two Akitas for good measure). AAA seems perfectly happy to insure me (7+ years).

46 minutes ago, Max4Me said:

I live in SoCal east of LA and have AAAA for mine. AAA itself doesn’t cover classic cars; they have a subsidiary (can’t remember name) that does. One car is stored in a carport, the other in a fully enclosed car canopy.  They are both in the backyard behind a six-foot wooden fence with padlocked gates for security (and two Akitas for good measure). AAA seems perfectly happy to insure me (7+ years).

Do these cars have Comprehensive coverage?    (Like fire theft and non collision coverage)  Be interesting to konw the name of the company for the    many Californian Forum members.

• Like 2

for the last 20 years I’ve had garage space that would accommodate eight cars if I arranged things correctly. 

i’m in a sell mode and only have two cars left that are collectible and one definitely is covered and no problem parking it in the garage. The other one (if I keep it) going to have to move some stuff around to get it inside.

I still enjoy old cars but I do not have to own them anymore.