Fuel gauge

dl456

Just made a new gas gauge for a Series 11A. Says Saratoga Quality Hardware on it and turns out that the 10 inch mark just happens to line up with a full tank of gas. The other 26 inches of it is designed to keep it from getting stuck in the tank.

And yes, I once had to clean out and seal a gas tank that had a piece of wooden dowel and a twig in it that were BOTH short enough that some fool lost them in the tank! 

Paul

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 8/23/2022 at 1:04 AM, dl456 said:

Sorry guys,

Pulled a late-night dummy on that one.

1925 11A.

I can build the gauge, but more interested in the faceplate and fittings.

Currently using the yard stick.

Thanks,

Dennis

Also looking for an amp meter if you have an extra

Hi Dennis

I may be able to help with what you need. In the General Discussion area I posted regarding the Rochester in tank gauge / pickup that I made for Hupmobiles and asking what else they may fit. Franklin came cack as the answer but with varying lengths on the tubes. I have reproduced a full range of parts but my completed units only have 11 inch tubing (so far). there seems to be a lot of interest so there is likely to be a second batch done.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just putting it out there that on the back of doing the gauge that has a common usage with Hupmobile I have been asked to do some for the pre 1922 Franklins and I have been sent a copy of one of the factory drawings. This details the dimensions of the hex across flats and corners, thicknesses and main thread type. What it lacks is detail pertaining to the diameters of the dial face and its bezel. 

Can someone "fill in the blanks" for me please and also supply a good clear image of the actual dial face?

Most of the basic parts will transfer straight over from the later ones and I would prefer to get these ones as close as possible in appearance to what they should be.

The guy enquiring will be getting exclusivity on selling this type outside of Australia & New Zealand as he is willing to order enough as a startup to make it worthwhile and will be advertising them in the relevant publications and have them at Hershey.

As an edit a day later - the ones I currently do have a "weep hole" under the dial at the lowest point to allow any gasoline fumes that condense to drip back into the tank. The diagram I have does not show this feature. Is it on these earlier units?

Edited by Fordy (see edit history)

Unfortunately, there are no more detailed drawings in the Club's huge factory drawing data base. Lack of some dimensions is not uncommon for a part that the factory bought complete from an outside source like Rochester manufacturing that made those in the tank fuel gauges.

I don't have an original to measure, but having been trained as a draftsman, I have scaled-off missing dimensions from other factory drawings. Maybe scaling-off the factory drawing you have would work for the measurements you need ?

Paul

Thanks Paul - I have just done exactly that last night to get the dial diameter for the outside company to make. Pop it into cad as an image and take a measurement off a known area and then play with scale until it matches - Dial face came in at 1- and 3/4-inch diameter.

I will probably do the weep hole as a "extra" it is not seen and does no harm.

The guy who was asking for them seems to have backpedaled so if I go ahead, I will be offering them to anyone in need of one.

Steve

Glad that the scale measuring worked out, Steve. 

I know of one of my customers that has asked you for a gauge for his Series 10 Franklin. And once there are some gauges here for others to see, the word will get around. Then I'm sure you will be getting more requests.  Plus, once all the details are worked out, you might want to place an add with pictures in the For Sale section of the Franklin Club's website and periodic publications. 

Paul

• Like 1

I purchased two of Steve's gauges for my Series 10s. They are not 100% perfect, in that you can tell they are repros, but the level of quality and function is well-worth the price he charges for them. If you need one or think you might need one, buy one.

I wish these were available a few years ago.

I had three cars where with the original gauges the potmetal did its usual cracking and thus created air leaks into the fuel line that disabled the fuel system. One owner was lucky enough to find one of the last of the late John Hasslen repro gauges. The other two cars I had Pat Reeve machine threaded aluminum plugs that I could install copper pickup tubes into so the cars could at least be driven.

These are far better than just a plug.

Paul

6 hours ago, Steve Braverman said:

I purchased two of Steve's gauges for my Series 10s. They are not 100% perfect, in that you can tell they are repros, but the level of quality and function is well-worth the price he charges for them. If you need one or think you might need one, buy one.

Thanks Steve, can you let me know what needs to be improved? The first lot of bodies are now gone and there is likelihood of getting another batch done as I am still getting asked for them. The first ones were done from a very mashed up and broken original so some of the "digital repairs" were a best guess. 

Steve

I took the liberty of posting links to this page and your Hupmobile page, over on the Franklin Face Book page, which has 1000 members and far more activity than here. I hope it will help you and Franklin owners to fix a growing problem.

Paul

• Like 1

I have just placed an order for a couple of the earlier bodies to make up a very small "pre production" run.

These and the previous type may become a "make to order" so I don't have a huge wad of cash tied up in "stock"

Steve