1965 idle stator …continuity …minds a moosh

moran75

Hi all

its been a long day - can’t think straight !

re attached which is self explanatory …before and after pressing on the switch ….so switch is broke with fluctuation /high continuity reading like that?

thanks in advance

kev

740641EC-8063-4670-872F-BD38B3A04622.jpeg

1D81AD45-AC88-4CE4-BB36-0C45A9F4C9AC.jpeg

Thanks all

Aha…was expecting reading to move from 1 to close to zero? Like when you touch the two probes together?

by the way have I set multimeter to correct ohms - 200?

when I see set to  2k /20k I do get thr reading of near zero after all?…

many thanks for help

kev

6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

31 ohms is bad with switch closed. Should be less than 1 ohm preferably.

In the photos I had meter set to 200 ohms - and was expecting a near zero reading but got the variable high reading as per pic..

but

at setting 2k or higher I did get a near zero reading 

and

when used the ‘beep’ setting on the multimeter (which i since found is maybe best way to test continuity?) I did get the beep

so maybe I had multimeter set wrong in the first instance ?…and switch ok?

cheers

kev

Good news

as an update , and in case this thread is stumbled upon in the future..

In a nutshell :

1)after my original late night post, a test light in the morning did light up when connected, but very very  faintly…whilst in the car switch didn’t seem to light up at all, hence it’s removal . 

so the audible beep on multimeter proved continuity, but not ‘enough’ If that’s a technical term😀

2)the metal ‘trigger’ across the top was rusty, not massively. Cleaned with wire wool and contact cleaner.

3) now test  light slows bright … and when connected to multi meter at lowers ohm setting (200) switch rates close to zero when pressed

so hey presto switch is now good

i had erratic operation at idle, which reduced to almost non existent,  even with adjusting whilst on car …hence digging deep

thanks all

kev 

On 8/6/2022 at 11:04 AM, moran75 said:

Looks to be visually …maybe in market for a replacement 😀

Same switch, just a salvaged part from one of the many cars I have had over 40 + years. I should edit the post. I failed to make a note of that. The switch has been test and is good. I re-enforced the bottom area because it is a weak spot from day one. Can't recall how many of those switches I have thrown away because the metal part was broken off and gone.

Thank you, Tom, for the vote of confidence. lol

Kev and others looking at this. In my automotive tech electrical classes way back when we were taught to use the lowest setting on the meter and in the case of doing a continuity test. You are allowed 0.1-ohm resistance per connection. So, your reading is fine at 0.3 max.

Loren

• Like 1