A new life for the Studebaker guardhouse

That guard house was witness to a lot of Studebaker history. The picture at the bottom of this post is that of Studebaker workers passing by the guard house and through the gates at the end of the work day on December 9th, 1963, immediately after the announcement of the closure of the South Bend plant was made.

For those who may not be aware, Building 84, the 1,000,000 sf main assembly plant at the Studebaker factory in South Bend , abandoned for years and pictured below, is being repurposed into a mixed-use technology center. The guard house now sits at the entrance to building 84.

guardgate.jpeg

Edited by car crazy (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, car crazy said:

For those who may not be aware, Building 84, the 1,000,000 sf main assembly plant at the Studebaker factory in South Bend , abandoned for years and pictured below, is being repurposed into a mixed-use technology center. The guard house now sits at the entrance to building 84.

Yes, it is great to see Building 84 finally get some attention to update it to 21st Century modern day standards for design, both visually and energy efficiency.  I don't recall hearing it was abandoned 'for years'.   Of all the old Studebaker factory buildings, #84 probably had the distinction of having almost full tenure during its nearly 100 year existence, from when Studebaker was producing cars up until its thorough renovation starting in 2017.  This would explain the relatively good condition the property was in when the major renovations commenced on it.  Unlike all the other Studebaker buildings, I don't believe the utilities were ever shut off at any point in time since 1963, as I made to attempt to get a look inside when I was there in 2007.  At that time, it was fully leased, and because of safety concerns, and it being a fully operational warehouse facility with forklifts and other equipment running around, was denied entry.  From what I could see, this building was in the best shape of all the other Studebaker Buildings I was in previously, from the Administration Building across the street to, the old Avanti Motors on Lafayette Blvd, and Buildings 47 & 48 nearby.

Photos I took of 47/48 here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/1863560-transwestern-bldg

The Foundry in 2007, before its demolition in 2010:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/6882-south-bend-self-tour-2-the-foundry

Craig

• Like 2

On 7/19/2022 at 5:53 PM, car crazy said:

That guard house was witness to a lot of Studebaker history. The picture at the bottom of this post is that of Studebaker workers passing by the guard house and through the gates at the end of the work day on December 9th, 1963, immediately after the announcement of the closure of the South Bend plant was made.

guardgate.jpeg

Loved the short video, thanks for sharing it.

What a magnificent piece of history, very encouraging to see. 

I began my legal career around the time ERISA was enacted, 1974. I did some ERISA work. Some of my sophisticated finance friends were surprised when I informed them that ERISA was enacted as a response to the Studebaker bankruptcy. Studebaker had a stock plan for its employees. It was one and possibly the only retirement plan. When the bankruptcy occurred the stock became worthless, leaving former employees out of luck. ERISA required employers to allow for diversification of retirement plans and required them to fund defined benefit plans, I.e., annuity plans. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Shootey said:

I began my legal career around the time ERISA was enacted, 1974. I did some ERISA work. Some of my sophisticated finance friends were surprised when I informed them that ERISA was enacted as a response to the Studebaker bankruptcy. Studebaker had a stock plan for its employees. It was one and possibly the only retirement plan. When the bankruptcy occurred the stock became worthless, leaving former employees out of luck. ERISA required employers to allow for diversification of retirement plans and required them to fund defined benefit plans, I.e., annuity plans. 

It is news to me that they went bankrupt. Do you know when that happened? As I recall they went through an endless string of corporate mergers and acquisitions after shutting down the last auto production line (in Hamilton, Ontario) during the 1966 model year. I do recall reading in the newspaper when they ceased to exist altogether around 1996 (that's not a typo).

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

It is news to me that they went bankrupt. Do you know when that happened? As I recall they went through an endless string of corporate mergers and acquisitions after shutting down the last auto production line (in Hamilton, Ontario) during the 1966 model year. I do recall reading in the newspaper when they ceased to exist altogether around 1996 (that's not a typo).

I could look it up but I think it was in the late 1960s or early 1970’s.  I’m not sure how that ties to you 1996 date. All I know is that ERISA was prompted by Studebaker’s demise. 

• Like 1

Studebaker closed its operations in South Bend in December 1963 and finally closed the Hamilton Ontario plant in March 1966.

The South Bend Lathe Company was in its own facility on the South side of W Sample Street. It too was attempted to be revived through a LBO but ultimately failed. There were also other supporting businesses for Studebaker along this corridor.

South Bend was a large manufacturing center in its heyday. Studebaker, Singer sewing machines, South Bend Lathe, Oliver Plow farm equipment, South Bend fishing lures and fly rods, and South Bend Toy to name a few. 

Edited by g-g-g0 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AzBob said:

Looks like SBL (South Bend Lathe) was operating out of the old Studebaker complex at one time.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 1.19.55 PM.png

They were operating out of the old Studebaker Machine Shop in the 1980's and '90's.

2200142637_fec6987619_b.jpg

07sb105.jpg

• Thanks 1