600 Weight Oil ???

R Walling

Would anyone want a 1/2 barrel of nice new 600 weight oil?  FREE!

I received in in a truck body with some other oils a while ago. I have no use for it and I don't even know what to use it for. B)

It is located in the Springfield Ma. area.

• Like 1

Good offer for someone close by, is it 600W cylinder oil, or actual 600 Weight.  The 600W (W did not stand for weight) was recommended for transmissions, steering boxes and differentials in 1931 Chevs, Fords and perhaps some other cars. It's heavy viscosity helped prevent leaks past bushings etc. When you say "barrel" do you mean 45 gallon drum, or 5 gallon pail?

I believe you are referring to steam cylinder oil. That's a valued commodity at the museum I volunteer at. We use in in the lubricator of our 1907 steam powered Lombard log hauler, in the compensator gear housing and the transmissions and differentials of the two gas log powered Lombards.

Make a trip to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum in Bradley, Maine  on July 30th (we will have everything up and running that day) and bring it along!

Heavy Metal 2022: Hot metal, hot biscuits and bean-hole beans, mills, and antique machines.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

Would anyone want a 1/2 barrel of nice new 600 weight oil?  FREE!

I received in in a truck body with some other oils a while ago. I have no use for it and I don't even know what to use it for. B)

It is located in the Springfield Ma. area.

I'll come and get it Roger. PM me where to pick it up. I use this stuff quite often. Dandy Dave!

• Like 4

On 7/15/2022 at 9:54 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Nice offer by Roger and Dandy Dave's shop would be a good home for it.  Model As love this stuff, trans, diff, steering box.  I am sure other cars do also...

Very generous of Roger,

and Dandy Dave's shop is the right home for it as well.

Our previous '27 Chevy used this in the tranny and differential.

I once bought a 5 gallon bucket from our local Mobil Oil depot, back in the late 1970s or early 1980s -

put a bit aside, and put the rest in 1 quart bottles to give to other local folks with early cars.

Edited by Marty Roth
note correction - 5 gallons - not 6 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1