Head bolts

Erndog

First,   7/16 - 14 is a standard size ( nat. course thread).       A good industrial nut / bolt supply house should have them in stock.      Bring  a separate head  bolt you want to duplicate - length etc.    Buy an extra,   JIC,  Does your head use washers?    If so,  a few extras also.    If you need any suppliers of these,  let me know as I have several suppliers including a great local nut/bolt shop.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Buick35 said:

my 35 shop manual says they shouldn't be tightened more than you can pull with a 9" wrench with one hand.

That's also exactly what my '38 shop manual says...

• 1 month later...

These need to be a minimum of 'grade 5' for strength.   ( 3 pointed star on the top.  Grade 8 have a 6 pointed star on top ).  I always use 'grade 8' bolts which are the strongest.   (With split  lock washers. ). 
    BTW,  if the bolt heads do not have any marks then they will be grade 2 which is a no-no.   Not strong enough  !  !      I use stainless  grade 5 min.  for the three bolts that hold the water pump.    Same on the lock washers.   

2 hours ago, Jim Nelson said:

These need to be a minimum of 'grade 5' for strength.   ( 3 pointed star on the top.  Grade 8 have a 6 pointed star on top ).  I always use 'grade 8' bolts which are the strongest.   (With split  lock washers. ). 
    BTW,  if the bolt heads do not have any marks then they will be grade 2 which is a no-no.   Not strong enough  !  !      I use stainless  grade 5 min.  for the three bolts that hold the water pump.    Same on the lock washers.   

They're grade 8's.

• Like 1

I will respectfully disagree with using high grade bolts in place of original lower grade bolts.  The original bolts worked quite satisfactorily at a 9" wrench torque.  Higher grade bolts require higher torque to perform  properly.  Higher torque will  put undo stress on the castings.  Think of the bolt as a spring.  It must be stretched a bit to work properly. 

Bob Engle 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1