1926-1928 Chevy rear hub puller

AlfaTazio

Would someone know of a available puller, or, someone who might fabricate such a puller. I did have one made before for a different car, but can not locate him at this moment.

Its going to be 2 3/8 inches by 16 tpi....internal threads on the puller itself.

I know about the VCCA, but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

I assume you have wood wheels. If you had disc wheels any 3 jaw puller can be bolted onto the lug nuts. With wood wheels many people just loosen the nuts and drive it around the block. Do not remove the nuts all the way for the obvious reasons. Another method is to jack up one side, and loosen the nut on the other side. Moving the car back and forth sideways is supposed to knock the other side loose. A fellow on the VCCA site used 2x4s behind the wheel with some all thread rods to put tension on the hub to remove it. Rather primitive but it worked. All of my early Chevys have disc wheels. 1-'25, 1-'28, 3-'29s, sorry I can't be more help. Gary Wallace at 20schevyparts.com may have a hub puller.

Art

• Like 2

So I went through my pullers, and checked them all with a Harbor Freight digital caliper set. None of the inside threaded pullers measured at 2 -3/8", but all of them actually tested a little smaller than any standard size. I'm no machinist, and not the best with calipers, micrometers, etc. So I tested some brand new common 3/4" threaded nuts, and they actually measure slightly smaller than a 3/4" ID. So now I'm not sure exactly what size a 2-3/8" inside-threaded hub puller ought to measure with a set of calipers. I'm getting 2.30" on the one I have in front of me. Can anyone tell me exactly what that thread size would be? 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

On 7/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, lump said:

So I went through my pullers, and checked them all with a Harbor Freight digital caliper set. None of the inside threaded pullers measured at 2 -3/8", but all of them actually tested a little smaller than any standard size. I'm no machinist, and not the best with calipers, micrometers, etc. So I tested some brand new common 3/4" threaded nuts, and they actually measure slightly smaller than a 3/4" ID. So now I'm not sure exactly what size a 2-3/8" inside-threaded hub puller ought to measure with a set of calipers. I'm getting 2.30" on the one I have in front of me. Can anyone tell me exactly what that thread size would be? 

Threads are measured at the outside diameter so measuring from the inside will be smaller as you need to add the depth of the thread X 2. To know the depth, you need to know the threads per inch and look it up in a Machinerys Handbook. Or today, just google it. The info is out there somewhere on the web.  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 7:05 AM, Dandy Dave said:

Threads are measured at the outside diameter so measuring from the inside will be smaller as you need to add the depth of the thread X 2. To know the depth, you need to know the threads per inch and look it up in a Machinerys Handbook. Or today, just google it. The info is out there somewhere on the web.  

Thanks, Dave. I am continually amazed by the increasing number of things I THOUGHT I understood, but in fact did not. The older I get, the dumber I feel. 

I currently own and show an original 55 Plymouth and just pulled all the drums to inspect while doing a minor brake adjust.  Without that OEM rear drum puller ($100) then I wouldn't been able to accomplish.  Also the oem-kno k-off "concentric drum measuring tool" (also about $100) made dual front brake cylinder brake adjustments more precise. Love those old tools for old cars! Time savers! 

20200630_155355_resized_1.jpg