What steps and products helpful in detailing an engine for a National?

Steve, wait until you see the cost of keeping you shall we say “well oiled” ! It may be approaching the amount Ed supports for Canada’s liquid refreshment monthly export  amount! 
dave s 

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

..., my restorers are keeping me running but the cost of this restoration is mind boggling! :)  The shop rate for my surgeons is expensive!

Well, since Ed claims to be able to "fix ANYTHING", perhaps you should look into if his shop rates are more affordable ?

And if you're "pre-war" model, he really has no excuses. 😜

1 hour ago, TTR said:

Well, since Ed claims to be able to "fix ANYTHING", perhaps you should look into if his shop rates are more affordable ?

And if you're "pre-war" model, he really has no excuses. 😜

Faulty logic……..I only work on pre war stuff…………pre World War II, I never work on anything that is pre Peloponnesian war……….😝

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Clean-up certainly is a big part of the project.  A few thoughts on other things to pay attention to are matching/correct fasteners and hose clamps, and elimination of non-standard cable ties, tape, etc.  Alot of this kind of thing can become altered in 40 years.  Correct battery cables and plug wires are another thing that comes to mind, as well as repairs to, and taps into, the original wiring.  Also, don't forget the underside of the hood for correct finish and insulation, and good appearance.

• Like 1

Again, I would like to thank everyone for their helpful comments.

TAkerry-about your Radiator Shroud, I was wondering if Adam's Graphene Tire Dressing or Adam's VRT might help.

Laughing Coyote- Thank you for suggesting Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care. I think I will give it a try.

edinmass- What kind of brushes and products will you use on detailing the Packard Custom Dietrich. Good luck to you and the owner when you go to your show. Please let us know how you do.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 11:43 PM, Laughing Coyote said:

Found this stuff on Amazon and it works nice. Best dressing I've used. Not greasy and leaves a matte finish and not that trailer park gangster shine. Makes tires a rich black color.

611K7Jkha7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had a bottle of this from my flying days in a cabinet I’d forgotten about. Dug it out and used what was left in it on the running boards of the 38. It worked very well so I ordered another bottle from Amazon Prime for about $19 tax and shipping included. 
dave s 

86A3417A-D29D-4692-A840-F306B331D4A7.jpeg

96538E46-EC73-441A-9AD5-41DA10B1D556.jpeg

• Like 2

Kerry the running boards were hard and brittle before I used this on them ( credit goes to Laughing Coyote for posting and reminding me I had some) and now seems ply able in places. I only had a small amount in bottle so hopefully being a little more generous with it will help more. It’s easy  to use spray, wait 10 minutes or so, wipe off with a damp rag then with a dry rag. Maybe leaving soak in a little longer will make it even better. I’ll let you know. At least it’s not just a flashy shine like some products are. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1