Replacement handles for 1920's DELCO pot-metal ignition & lighting switch combo ?

Looking for replacement handles for dash-mounted combination lighting and ignition switch by DELCO, as used on 1927 Chandler.

The stumps are the two blobby-looking things beneath the pull control.

Perhaps they were used on other makes ?

If not exact replacements, would like a functional replacement.

DSC_0187.JPG

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)

Buick used a Delco combination switch that mounted in the dash, but your switch is mounted behind the dash so don't know if its the same or not.  It would help if you removed the switch posted a photo of it.   There are threads discussing Buick Delco switches in the Buick Pre-war section.   To remove the handle, I have drilled through them and they usually loosen up during drilling and will come out.  That metal can be very hard and brittle or it can be very gummy and stick to the drill tip.  Always best to use a sharp drill. 

lever removal.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  I will try to crawl under the dash and see what things looks like for removal of the entire switch.

The vehicle I am working on is an incredibly well-preserved original survivor, so I am trying to disturb as little as possible (eg: fossilized wiring, etc.)

I am curious as to how the original handles are secured, since the entire switch body is concealed behind the dash-panel.   I'm assuming the levers weren't a press-in / snap fit from the front- side ? 

Did any other makes use this concealed switch arrangement ?  Chandler info is very scarce... 

Thanks ! 

Frank

Those Delco switches were used on maybe a hundred medium and high end marques! In some cases, things like Cadillac and Lincoln used nearly identical switches with only the face and escutcheon being different. Most likely your Chandler switch will be interchangeable with more common cars like Buick. Swap the face plates, replace the handles, and go!

Delco made smaller switches for lesser marques as well. I don't know, but have been told the handles can interchange even with some of those.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Those Delco switches were used on maybe a hundred medium and high end marques! In some cases, things like Cadillac and Lincoln used nearly identical switches with only the face and escutcheon being different. Most likely your Chandler switch will be interchangeable with more common cars like Buick. Swap the face plates, replace the handles, and go!

Delco made smaller switches for lesser marques as well. I don't know, but have been told the handles can interchange even with some of those.

From the pics, no face plate on the dash, so a non-factor stated about swapping face plates??? Your getting the new handles from Bob's Auto........ On the back side it should be a bakelite casting that slips into the pot metal casting where the wires attach for your lights and ignition etc. Inside that you should find 2 spring steel fingers that each have a ball bearing in between each spring steel and bakelite. So, get the old stumps ground down without damaging the bezels, the pot metal base, the parts inside it, or the bakelite, and work on the backside with the switch out of the dash.

You should be able to remove the bakelite back (3 screws or 4 ?) with the switch in the dash and remove the parts so you don't damage the insides when blindly grinding out  the stumps. Just a after thought

That's what I had to do with my 25 Packard with a Delco Switch. 

• Like 2

I am wondering if the 2 bezels behind each lever are just another variant of the faceplate used by Buick.  If this Chandler switch is indeed the same switch, this is what it will look like when opened up.  There should be a U shaped clamp with 2 screws or nuts holding the switch against the backside of the dash which shouldn't be too difficult to remove.  This will allow the entire switch body to drop down and make it easier to reach the wire connector screws.   Once you have the switch out of the car and begin disassembly, be aware that when the screw holding the bronze contact spider is removed, there is a spring loaded detent ball  that might jump out. 

dash light switch.jpg

another combo switch 2.jpg

• Like 4

Oregon Desert - Thanks for the warning about that Detent-Ball Surprise!  😮

My conundrum at the moment is how to remove the switch / levers from the dash:   there is about 200* radius of the lever flange remaining on the LH switch (Ignition?), which still turns with finger pressure, so that would prevent the lever stump from passing through the dash bezel/grommet.

It  seems that the levers are retained by a fixing screw from inside the switch case, so it would seem that the case was installed in the dash, the levers inserted from the front side and secures, then the bakelite contact block was installed from  under the dash.

OR, perhaps this was done as a "bench job" in the factory (all the instruments / switches were installed in the dash panel), then the whole dash was installed in the car ???  😵

I don't relish the notion of trying to partially disassemble the switch while laying on top of the clutch & brake pedals, etc... 

Thanks,

Frank

8 hours ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

I am wondering if the 2 bezels behind each lever are just another variant of the faceplate used by Buick.  If this Chandler switch is indeed the same switch, this is what it will look like when opened up.  There should be a U shaped clamp with 2 screws or nuts holding the switch against the backside of the dash which shouldn't be too difficult to remove.  This will allow the entire switch body to drop down and make it easier to reach the wire connector screws.   Once you have the switch out of the car and begin disassembly, be aware that when the screw holding the bronze contact spider is removed, there is a spring loaded detent ball  that might jump out. 

dash light switch.jpg

another combo switch 2.jpg

Great notes.

We can all learn a thing or two following these types of standardized formats for notating our problem pieces. 
I for one can appreciate the time you put into labelling everything digitally. Personally, I like to have both the digital and physical copy on paper, so I simply print it off and take it to my shop while working on parts to help troubleshoot or if I need for reference. Simple, clear, and straightforward. Also comes in handy when fabricating parts and other projects non car related. I've even used something similar when doing family genealogical research in order to be able to see the broader picture at a glance. I highly recommend more guys try and perform these kind of digital accomplishments as it saves a lot of headaches in the end. Takes some time up front but worth it.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Oregon,  take a look at the photo below;   the only things on the operator's side of the dashboard are the levers (well, at one time), and two round "bezels" that actually look more like grommets. 

Circled in red. The flange of the lever was originally octagonal (?)  in shape.

The face of the switch does not show through a round or oval cut-out in the dash panel, as with Packards, or Buicks...   😵

DSC_0187 switch stumps circled in red.jpg

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)