Steelductor stainless steel spark plug wire in lieu of copper. Anyone ever try it?

Ron42Dodge

Autolite Steelductor ignition wire.  7 strands of stainless steel wire instead of 19 strands of copper.  

Claims easier starting, Higher top speed, Lower idling, less misfiring from fouled plugs, less burning of spark plugs electrodes and breaker points, internal corona avoided, heat hazard reduced and less radio interference.  Claims 25% higher peak seconadary voltages.

They say the Stainless wire is more efficient because it does not absorb the power as much as copper does providing higher secondary voltage.

This particular kit is Silver Sheathed and fits my 1942 Dodge as well as other 39 - 42 Mopars and 33 - 42 Hudson, Lafayette Nash and Packard. 

Comes with 6 plug wires and a coil wire, rubber boots and wire ends.

Another box I have says on the bottom of the box the rubber nipples were omitted to conserve critical war materials

Anybody ever try these?

20220425_185643.jpg

20220425_185715.jpg

20220425_185738.jpg

20220425_185845 r.jpg

20220425_185852 r.jpg

20220425_185858 r.jpg

Ad 2.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Steelductor wire.JPG

Ad.jpg

DSCF5342.JPG

I don't know where they got their fact's and figure's. Copper is only rated second to silver in conductivity rating, it's ranked higher than gold. If I remember stainless steel isn't even ranked in the top 20.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

If you have high current bolt on lug applications, you cannot use stainless hardware because the resistance is so high!

Copper best we can afford for current carrying (lowest resistance except for silver and gold), of course some people may be able to afford silver....😉

Looking at the applications on the Autolite boxes, there is nothing newer than 1942 listed. These were obviously made while the war was going on.

Copper use was restricted due to wartime shortages. If you remember, 1943 pennies were made out of steel because there was no copper. I suspect that the steel wire was a wartime substitute for unavailable copper wire.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, 5219 said:

Looking at the applications on the Autolite boxes, there is nothing newer than 1942 listed. These were obviously made while the war was going on.

Copper use was restricted due to wartime shortages. If you remember, 1943 pennies were made out of steel because there was no copper. I suspect that the steel wire was a wartime substitute for unavailable copper wire.

The first box of wires I bought specifically indicated the rubber boots were omitted for the war effort, so definitely during the war time shortages.  It references cars back to 1931.  The second box I bought had the rubber boots and didn't go as far back for applications but still stopped at 42.  All steel was restricted.  Keeping cars running was a big effort during the war along with saving fuel and rubber.  I have never heard either way whether it was difficult to get spark plug wires during the war.  Some of their literature seem to say this is what they use in airplanes because it is reliable and efficient so why not use it on your car.  If it was a fly by night company I would have my doubts.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:39 AM, 46 woodie said:

I don't know where they got their fact's and figure's. Copper is only rated second to silver in conductivity rating, it's ranked higher than gold. If I remember stainless steel isn't even ranked in the top 20.

Autolite was not a fly by night company.  I assume there was some research involved.  A quick search on line asking what is the best material for spark plug wires came back with this.  Solid Core: Solid core spark plug wires typically utilize stainless steel or copper, which conducts electrical current very well. For that reason, solid core wires have lower resistance than other wires to get maximum energy to the plugs.  Many of your performance plug wires are stainless steel.  There might be a lot to do with a typical plug wire is only a couple of feet long.  Almost has to be more to it.

It might have something to do with the fact that spark plug wires carry very little current (amperage) but instead  high voltages. Think of an electric fencer and how well a steel fence wire can carry that high voltage for long distances.

• Like 1

Stainless has been used for a long time as an alternative to copper in solid core wires.  Both conduct very well compared to the carbon fiber wires used in new cars today.   Accel currently offers stainless wire for competition applications.  Modern spark plug wires are designed primarily to minimize electronic "noise" generation, and to provide long-lasting flexibility and insulation in a high temperature environment.  They have much greater resistance than solid core wires.  I think that one advantage of stainless steel over copper is that it would be less prone to metal fatigue over a long period of time in a high heat and vibration environment; thus perhaps preferable in aircraft and motorcycle applications.   As a side note, when electronic noise and insulation against cross-sparking are not a concern, just about any metal will do.  Those of us who cut our teeth tinkering with Model A's know that a piece of coat hanger works quite well.

Edited by Akstraw
Grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 2