what is it

31 LaSalle

hi does anyone know what this is

it has a red jewel one end and a white one at other end

i have two of these they came to me with my chrysler 72 convertible coupe

i think they might be parking lights and wondered are they chrysler parts or after market parts

hope you can help

thank you

car part 2.jpg

1 hour ago, roysboystoys said:

I recall something on here recently that said they mounted on the running board?

They usually mount on the body or top of rear fender. You can see them just behind the door on these Chryslers....

1926 Chrysler 1.jpg

1926 Chrysler_phaeton.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonder if the junky one advertised at $50 ever had any bites?  These lamps are very common and can be found in most swap meets.  The one shown might be worth as much as a $20 bill to someone who doesn't know any better, but shopping around for a better one should be relatively easy.   They were available in either a black enamel finish or with nickle plating on them.  Although the name "Tiffany" is on the one shown in the ad, I'm certain the name bears no relationship to the high-end company in NY.  The name was used just as a sales tactic. They were popular accessories but as far as I know were not provided as original equipment. If anyone has documentation to the contrary please post.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Wonder if the junky one advertised at $50 ever had any bites?  These lamps are very common and can be found in most swap meets.  The one shown might be worth as much as a $20 bill to someone who doesn't know any better, but shopping around for a better one should be relatively easy.   They were available in either a black enamel finish or with nickle plating on them.  Although the name "Tiffany" is on the one shown in the ad, I'm certain the name bears no relationship to the high-end company in NY.  The name was used just as a sales tactic. They were popular accessories but as far as I know were not provided as original equipment. If anyone has documentation to the contrary please post.

Terry

In my "70 Years Of Chrysler" book it shows a few factory photos of the higher end Chrysler open cars wearing the item (1924-27). They may have just been a factory accessory for Chrysler as you say. I do not see them on sedans or coupes.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure they were factory fitted on a lot of the Chrysler open cars and not just the top end cars either.

I restored a completely original 1927 model 50 4 cylinder tourer and it had them new according to the family that were the first owners. I have a model G70 tourer and that also has them.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The fitting of these lights on Ipeeforwards car would have been done after the car left the factory.

I'm not sure when it was legislated, but the UK insisted on sidelights being fitted to the fenders or outer extremities of all cars after a certain date for safety reasons. In this case they have used the above lights for this purpose. They may have been fitted by the Chrysler dealer at the time of sale, or by an owner at a later date.

Viv.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, viv w said:

The fitting of these lights on Ipeeforwards car would have been done after the car left the factory.

I'm not sure when it was legislated, but the UK insisted on sidelights being fitted to the fenders or outer extremities of all cars after a certain date for safety reasons. In this case they have used the above lights for this purpose. They may have been fitted by the Chrysler dealer at the time of sale, or by an owner at a later date.

Viv.

I read an article  about these lights which said they were mandatory in Philadelphia and Baltimore during wwII 

when I purchased my Chrysler 72 conv/coupe I got two in a box of spare parts  the same as Ipeeforwards

John.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've got a pair of these Tiffany side markers on my 26 Chrysler 50. One white/red, the other white/green. They are mounted rear of the door handles.

They do look good lit up at night. I mounted them with the white facing forward, But in Australia we are RH drive so the red is on the passenger side.

IMG_20220807_154027.jpg

• Like 1