WHAT IS THIS HOOD ORNAMENT FROM?

Jaglover

Greetings. I need help identifying what vehicle this hood ornament would have come from. I inherited my father's toolbox in 1975 and this hood ornament was in it. I always thought it was cool and even mounted it on a Pontiac Sunbird in the eighties. I have subsequently mounted it on a wooden stand and display it in my living room. It was originally chromed but it wore off. I cleaned it to find it is made of brass. My father was a mechanic on British sports cars in the 60's, and immigrated here in the 50's. I think it's an eagle, but it could be any bird of prey. It's been driving my crazy, all these years. Please help.

Hood Ornament.jpg

Can we see a photo of the base with mounting stud? Any markings on it?  If from a car it's most likely an aftermarket accessory. Could also be from a flagpole.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is no markings that I could see. It is mounted with a bolt I scrounged into a 5/16" coarse thread hole. It would make sense that it's something aftermarket. It would explain why I haven't been able to identify. Thanks for the response

Size may determine if it is car related, how wide is the wingspan from tip to tip and how tall from base to top of the head?  It looks huge so trying to get an idea of scale is nearly impossible.

• Like 1

Bought a very similar one at an auction years ago without looking at it before the auctioneer held it up. It was at a car collectors friends estate auction. When I got it in my hand I decided it was a flag pole topper. Ended up giving it to one of his grandsons.

Most mascots were pretty well detailed. Here are  couple of eagles from my collection.

Terry

20160515_112225.jpg

20160515_112331.jpg

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

• Like 2

Wow Terry,

What a great collection. It must be great to hold them, and feel the weight, and the detailed work.

A little off topic, but these are my babies. The Jag is stock, but the Spitfire was my own creation from two parts cars. Great fun.

1970 Triumph Spitfire  rear.jpg

1970 Triumph Spitfire Mar 20 1993.jpg

1975 Jaguar XJ6L (2).jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheMoneyPit said:

Seems like this is a double posting. My apologies but I commented on the other thread… 

That's the way I got them, but I also have a Gardner Griffin in my collection that is not mounted on a cap - so I should switch them around I guess.    Terry

IMG_0144.JPG

45 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

That's the way I got them, but I also have a Gardner Griffin in my collection that is not mounted on a cap - so I should switch them around I guess.    Terry

IMG_0144.JPG

I don’t know if they are the same caps. Your mascot is the earlier one I think, and the two I have duplicates of are the newer version of the same one. There’s four styles, a flat thin rock, that pointed one you show, the flat base I show, and one where the griffin is leaning way forward (on eBay recently for around $400).

I have the same style as yours as well, it was one of the first I had in my collection.