For Sale: 1963 Mercury Monterey Custom Convertible - $15,000 - Lagrange, GA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1963 Mercury Monterey Custom Convertible - $15,000 - Lagrange, GA

1963 Mercury Monterey Convertible Barn Find - cars & trucks - by... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

So, I found this old drop top in Florida, and I was planning on keeping it for my summer cruiser. Well, I found something else, so I need to sell this beauty. It has the 390 in it and it’s pretty much all original. It has 75k original miles and it runs great. I drove it back from Florida. The top is a power top which works great, and the top is black and it’s in great shape. The body is solid. It has a few issues but nothing major.

Copy and paste in your email: 2df9017c8fcf3fa39ed1c2b89f1de7f3@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1963 Mercury Monterey Custom Convertible.

'63 Mercury Monterey Conv GA a.jpg

'63 Mercury Monterey Conv GA b.jpg

'63 Mercury Monterey Conv GA c.jpg

'63 Mercury Monterey Conv GA d.jpg

'63 Mercury Monterey Conv GA e.jpg

'63 Mercury Monterey Conv GA f.jpg

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

I'm asking because I genuinely don't know...Is it worth that kind of money? If everything is as original as he says it is, maybe so. I wonder how much that upholstery and dash could be cleaned up?

Looks like a decent car.   He's flipping so my guess is closer to 10k.   58 to 65 has lots of cars you never see that don't have that "iconic" sort of appeal.  Interesting cars, but not necessarily stuff people are searching for which pushes the prices up.  

• Like 1

The paint will actually polish up alot.  The interior is a crap shoot.  My guess is it's actually sun damage,  which I don't think will clean up at all.  The upholstery is actually burnt.    I say that because the dash shares the same issues.  wether you could die it or something,  i'm not sure.  But it won't be 100 percent.  You may be able to get it to 50 % better.   Just a guess without being there to actually test anything on the upholster.  The fact they didn't even bother to do anything to the finish tells me there is some chance of clean up on the interior.  That being said I would go into it expecting this is the best it will be and be pleasantly surprised if you can make it better. 

I also would say closer to 10.  It's a Merc not a Ford and they have very little following.  A 63 Galaxie would be it's contender and would sell quickly at this price.  

• Like 1

Cool car. I like the Mercurys because they are less common. But interior and trim items will be harder to find. As with the Galaxies, frame rot would be my biggest concern. Tap it with a hammer and poke and prod everywhere to be sure that frame is solid. I agree with the $10k estimates. That dash is likely toast. I like the vinyl dye idea as a quick improvement. To me this is a drive and enjoy as is car - I wouldn’t try to make it perfect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

The interior is a crap shoot.  My guess is it's actually sun damage,  which I don't think will clean up at all.  The upholstery is actually burnt.    I say that because the dash shares the same issues.  

I think you're right, Auburn Seeker:  The darkened red

is damage from baking in the sun.  I think a buyer would

find that the once-supple vinyl is now rather brittle.

Replacing the damaged original would be about the only

improvement.

I do like seeing the less common cars, though.

• Like 1