Trailer Transportation to and From Sentimental Tour needed

I'm wondering,  is there an AACA member who I could hire to carry (closed) my '39 Buick from Sebring, FL to New Bloomfield, PA and back in September?  The tour is September 10-16 in Gettysburg, PA.  A friend can house the car shortly before and after the tour.  We can drive it from New Bloomfield to Gettysburg and back.  I'd need a minimum three days to drive the modern car back to Sebring, FL after the tour.  Then we have to go back for Hershey in the Suburban, a 3-4 day drive for us old people.  Otherwise I will have to hire a commercial carrier.

Earl D. Beauchamp, Jr.

804-366-4870
suzybelle39baby@gmail.com

Suzybelle at Melbourne.jpg

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You don't look that young Ben, I hate to tell you 😄.  That trip from here is (1) though Orlando, FL on I-4 which is hell, (2) then all the way up I-95 to the DC beltway then up to I-695 around Baltimore to I-83 up to the Gettysburg area.  Now, that's probably about 1100 miles with no knowledgeible mechanics, no parts except back in my garage, no air condition and hot as hell.  Give me a break.  I'll be 84 Oct 19th and this is my last Sentimental Tour.  Yes there are some two-lane roads from Baltimore to Gettysburg.  My car is on the plaque because I founded the Tour in 2000.  Yes I do still have the Suburban and trailer, but ever since I had open heart surgery the doc wants me to stop and rest every so many hundred miles and my wife is 1000 % against me pulling that old 24-foot trailer that far.  When I first came to Florida from Virginia (greatest mistake o my life) I could drive the trailer straight through.  Pal, I may just do it anyway and whatever happens , well it happens.  I will say the trip to Melbourne, FL (130 miles or so each way) wore me out on the trip back home on Sunday.  I have an offer, here on the forum, but it is very costly.  Maybe I can sell the trailer to get half of the money back.  We'll see.

I have you by a couple. I had a quad bypass  eight [ has it really been that long?] years back.   Lack of stamina is a thing we all have I think as we age.  I do understand that.

I am planning on going to the BCA nationals this June .  Probably my last one. We will see. If I make it, I hope to visit some relatives. Total estimated miles will be around 4000.   My 1950 does have A/C  Installed so my wife could go on drives with me but her Alzheimer's progressed to the point she does not .

Good luck and enjoy what ever you are able to do.

Ben

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I have you by a couple. I had a quad bypass  eight [ has it really been that long?] years back.   Lack of stamina is a thing we all have I think as we age.  I do understand that.

I am planning on going to the BCA nationals this June .  Probably my last one. We will see. If I make it, I hope to visit some relatives. Total estimated miles will be around 4000.   My 1950 does have A/C  Installed so my wife could go on drives with me but her Alzheimer's progressed to the point she does not .

Good luck and enjoy what ever you are able to do.

Ben

Mine was only a double with a new aortic valve, but six months later I almost passed out and they had to install a pacemaker.  My old 39 Buick would have a hard time holding all of our medical stuff, much less our luggage. 😄  A/C in the '39 would be out of the question.  They ran warm when new.  I've installed two late-year Buick adjustments....a baffle for the top of the radiator and a fan shroud.  That has helped, but she wants to vapor lock going down the road on ethanol when it's over 85, so I have an electric fuel pump on a switch to pull it out when that happens.  We NOW have some non-ethanol available in Florida finally, but on the road it's unavailable except for dumb luck.  And, it's not the same as oldtime gas.  The '41 Roadmaster i recently sold would do it on the non-ethanol gas.

• 2 months later...

Florida Hurricane Season  runs from June 1st to November 30th, 2022.

NOAA is predicting an active season:

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/noaa-predicts-above-normal-2022-atlantic-hurricane-season

Experienced transport business owners & operators who are insured

won't run the risk of damaging their equipment  or a customer's vehicle

by scheduling transport in or out of Florida during September ....

Jim 

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2022 at 10:50 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Mine was only a double with a new aortic valve, but six months later I almost passed out and they had to install a pacemaker.  My old 39 Buick would have a hard time holding all of our medical stuff, much less our luggage. 😄  A/C in the '39 would be out of the question.  They ran warm when new.  I've installed two late-year Buick adjustments....a baffle for the top of the radiator and a fan shroud.  That has helped, but she wants to vapor lock going down the road on ethanol when it's over 85, so I have an electric fuel pump on a switch to pull it out when that happens.  We NOW have some non-ethanol available in Florida finally, but on the road it's unavailable except for dumb luck.  And, it's not the same as oldtime gas.  The '41 Roadmaster i recently sold would do it on the non-ethanol gas.

Earl,

For help while driving cross-country and wanting Non-Ethanol gas,

we use the PURE GAS APP on the cell phone.

Just a bit of planning ahead, and it generally works out for our travels.

Good luck, and hope to see your better half on the Sentimental,

and we'll probably be driving our 1937 Roadmaster Phaeton.

See you there.  Norm Hutton is ferrying my '39 Special sedan to and from the Tour for me.  Don Barlup is housing it for a few days until I pick it up in PA.  Don't know how  you can afford gas to tow that big Roadmaster.  We are in an awful situation.  I put an electric fuel pump (with an on/off toggle switch) on all of my cars so I can run ethanol if I have to.  That crap will vapor lock on hot days.  I also installed a radiator shroud on the '39 and boy did that help with the cooling.  Wrapped the steel lines with foam wrapping designed to keep home water heats from freezing in winter up north.  Heading out for a one week trip to Virginia around 10-10:30 AM today.

Earl

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 6:34 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I also installed a radiator shroud on the '39 and boy did that help with the cooling. 

Hmmm, any pictures of that?  Did you have it custom made, or modified something else...?

No, a guy in Arkansas, retired sheet metal guy, copied an original and offered them for sale in the club's Buick magazine.

I knew about them, but had never seen or found one; just a picture copied from a dealer's parts update book.  I'm not sure the fellow hasn't retired again though.  Check with Buick Club of America editor, Pete Phillips.

• Thanks 1