1951 Pontiac Chieftain project

• 6 months later...

I haven't posted in a while,so I'll give an update on my '51 Chieftain. I've been pecking away at it and I'm nearly finished. I got it started and drove it yesterday. I didn't go very far because I believe the fuel pump isn't pumping enough and it went dead. My new battery wouldn't restart it,so I had to get my wife to pull me back to the shop. I suspect my starter isn't up to par because it seems to be dragging.

When I get the starting problem resolved,off to the upholsterer it goes. He's already done the seats and door panels. Hopefully I can get it there next week. Everything on this car is either new or rebuilt so when I get all the bugs out of it,it should be a keeper.

Edited by Andy J (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Well,here's another update on my '51 Pontiac Chieftain. I've finally got all the problems worked out and it sits in my shop ready for the upholsterer. A new problem has come up out of my control. I went to see the upholsterer last Friday and he is swamped under with work. The problem is that he is going to have a knee replacement very soon as he can hardly get around. He has been getting shots in his knee to help him get around,but he said that isn't a fix.It's just to help him get some of the work out so he can catch up. So,I have to be patient until he is able to get to me and finish me up. It's partly my fault because I couldn't get the car to him when he could have finished it.

I've got plenty of other projects to do that will help pass the time. That's where I am.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

What a great car! Any luck with the upholstery yet?  I went looking for your build thread after you mentioned pulling a straight-8 with a hydramatic with a HF cherry picker; and I thought, "hey, that's the same drivetrain I have, so he must be up to something interesting!"

Fellows,the car is sitting in my shop,done except for the interior.Every time I talk to the man it's "give me two weeks".Tomorrow I'm going to see him in person and try to get some results.I am more than patient,but I'm ready for this to be done.He has already done my seats,door panels,and sun visors and they look great.He has a bum knee,so I'm cutting him more than his share of slack. I've been dicking around with this for months.

I'm still having problems with my starter.Both starters I have just won't spin it fast enough to start it. One of them is brand new.I have to start it with 12 volts.

I missed Cruisin' the Coast and several good car shows because of this delay. Never,ever tell someone that you're not in a hurry.That's where I messed up.I have '52 Chevy Bel Air 2dr ht that I am going to do next. I'm ready to get on it now!

Thanks for your interest in my project. I just wish I had taken pictures of the Pontiac before I started on it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Great news today! I take my Pontiac to the upholstery shop Monday. The man said he's ready for it.He has all the material for it.The seats and door panels have been done months ago,so the biggest thing is the headliner. When he's finished the windshield and back glass is all that's left.I can hardly wait!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I got my Pontiac to the trim shop yesterday.Hopefully it will be finished in a few days because his shop was empty and he just had a couple of small jobs to finish up. I'm tempted to pull my next project,a '52 Chevy Bel Air 2dr ht into my shop,but I've still got some sorting out with the Pontiac.

This time,I'll put up some pics of the Chevy before I tear it down. And you can bet your a$$ I'll take tons of pictures during this project,which I failed to do with my Pontiac.

• Like 3