Portland swap meet

Swear57

Thanks for posting some of the cars at the Portland Swap Meet (Expo)! Between club duty and looking for parts for my projects Friday and Saturday, I didn't take time to really look at any cars, which were outside my budget anyway! :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Any Parts Photos?

Not a lot in brass parts. Just the usual chrome and newer hot rod parts and a lot of rust. I took this one photo of a space with some better stuff. Enjoy Bob. 

IMG_3597.JPG

• Like 1

Your experience matches mine with regard to early parts. Over the last 25 years or so I have seen a slow but steady drop off of early stuff at Portland.

I really wanted to make it to the meet this year, but when I rationalizes the continuing uncertainty at the border .The need for a negative covid test only dropped April 1 , and with this new outbreak who knows for how long. When they dropped testing just after Christmas, it was reinstated only about a week later due to the Omicron outbreak. This uncertainty  combined with the cost of attending vs the likelihood of finding anything significant for my early project led me to decide to stay home for one more year.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 4:58 PM, wayne sheldon said:

I knew I had seen one for sale somewhere recently that looked just like that one, so I did a quick search through a few possible sites and found it on the HCCA online classified site. The problem is that the classified ad indicates the car to be in North Carolina? The ad says to contact Stewart Laidlaw, a well known hobbyist and professional restorer in the Horseless Carriage community. He had lived in California for many years, and belonged to the Horseless Carriage Regional Group I belong to. I knew him somewhat, and he moved back East about ten to twelve years ago.

So, I find myself wondering if this is in fact the same Pierce arrow?

Anymore info about the car?

The Pierce Arrow has been owned by a local HCCA Portland Group member for several years.  He sold it at the Portland Swap Meet last weekend.  Dandy Dave flew out from NY and stayed with us for the Swap Meet.  I am glad he got these photos so others can see what was there.  Other swap meets so far this year have been a bit thin on vendors.  The Portland Swap was also thinned by about 25% compared to pre-Covid swaps. 

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks Dave! Rhinebeck is May 7th, how do the two meets compare? 

Bob 

Rhinebeck is more of a show. This was not a show. Just stuff for sale. Two meets in one. Shuttle bus going between Portland International Race Way and The Expo center. The swap meet combined was much larger then Rhinebeck. I would say half the size of Hershey but nowhere near the quality or quantity of early stuff that is at Hershey. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Portland meet is very large, even if the venders are down 25%. But so much of it is cars and parts a lot newer than what I am interested in buying. Hundreds of stalls like the last one in Dave's photos. 

Tons of interesting things to look at , but little that fits in to my current needs.

I always find things worth buying, but as the years go by more of it is tools, books, literature. Things I can also find at closer meets.

Portland is about a 5 1/2 hour drive, assuming the Border delay is not too long. And my vehicle is getting pretty long in tooth.

Unfortunately for me Hershey is just a dream.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Dave, thanks for the tour of the Expo side. I didn't make it up there.

I had to discipline myself on the spending side.

I got away with only one fifteen dollar purchase. 

Kinda proud of myself.

At the PIR meet we are allowed to bring in our motor homes so food and drink was already covered. 

$9 beers from the vendors. I suspect food was out of site as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

The Pierce Arrow has been owned by a local HCCA Portland Group member for several years.  He sold it at the Portland Swap Meet last weekend.  Dandy Dave flew out from NY and stayed with us for the Swap Meet.  I am glad he got these photos so others can see what was there.  Other swap meets so far this year have been a bit thin on vendors.  The Portland Swap was also thinned by about 25% compared to pre-Covid swaps. 

So were the customers! We knew that some of the distant venders were backing out and there might be others to take their place. The outside spaces were ok, inside, ya lots of empty. Working in the package pickup area on Saturday, there were a few from the Western Canada that I got to talk to. As a member of one of the clubs putting the Portland Swap Meet on, this is our club's revenue and were aware that income would be down this year and hoping for better in years to come. There has been a long downward trend in the brass and even into the 30/40s for a long time. Like I told a friend, man I got into the wrong era (late teens-20s) for car stuff! :) Should have kept all those 1960s muscle cars and imports I owned back in the 70s through 80s. LOL 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1