1st Gen Windshield

gungeey

I recommend Auto City Classic.....I've bought lots of glass from them over the years and have always been very pleased

'with their glass........their price on a first gen windshield is 329.00........and for an extra charge I think you can have

the correct logo and date code put on it......they did that for me on my 70 Chevelle SS......I changed out all the glass with their glass....

perfect fit, correct tint and logos and date codes.

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

In 2019 I bought a replacement tinted and shaded windshield for my '65 Riviera from Summit Racing for the stupidly low price of $130 including delivery to Canada.

The windshield was from Pilkington, and it came with the LOF logo on the driver's lower side.   It was a perfect fit.

I checked the Summit website and this item is currently showing as "Unavailable".  

image.png.7195723bff43d9529a848d58a54e3de6.png  

I found this entry on the Summit website which indicates you can special order Pilkington windshields and side glass too.  See here:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/pilkington-classics/part-type/windows-individual

Or, call Summit and ask if they can order a windshield for you.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Steve,

In 2019 I bought a replacement tinted and shaded windshield for my '65 Riviera from Summit Racing for the stupidly low price of $130 including delivery to Canada.

The windshield was from Pilkington, and it came with the LOF logo on the driver's lower side.   It was a perfect fit.

I checked the Summit website and this item is currently showing as "Unavailable".  

image.png.7195723bff43d9529a848d58a54e3de6.png  

I found this entry on the Summit website which indicates you can special order Pilkington windshields and side glass too.  See here:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/pilkington-classics/part-type/windows-individual

Or, call Summit and ask if they can order a windshield for you.

Hope this helps.

I did as well, 4th one wasn't broken in shipping. They offered a refund, I said no I wanted the windshield. I believe they pulled them after I finally got a good one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crowvet said:

I did as well, 4th one wasn't broken in shipping.

Those broken shipments were a loss to the retailer and/or insurance. But it contributes to the stats to Pilkington that 1st Gen windshields are in demand.

Broken windshields are a fact of life out here in the wild west. Insurance companies give us an option to exclude windshields from glass coverage in comprehensive endorsements, passing the savings to policy holders.

In fact, DOW Corning offers "Gorilla Glass" for 3 applications and sub-applications (Antenna & collision sensors). They are for the current F150 and 2 Jeep Wranglers - the JK and the current JL. Some detail shops offer an application which consists of a protective layer which is similar to Gorilla Glass. However, the latter has a special layer in-between as well. Also, distribution in Canada is only through the dealer which is 5X the price compared to a glass shop, a no-go for me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, gungeey said:

Finally got one, by the time it delivers it will be 4 months. 529 shipped.

Ouch!  Boy that's some price increase in 3 years!  Guess I got lucky...

My '63 has a clear windshield. I consume about 5 windshields on my daily drivers before changing vehicles. Common to suffer a crack on the way home from the glass shop!

I'm hoping my '63 has a tough windshield as in my '68 Cdn Pontiac Parisienne, That car survived rocks hurtling from the opposite direction. It never needed to be replaced.

Back in those days, there were less highways and more 2-way roads. The latter with combined velocity would cause a crack for sure. But not that Pontiac!

Fast forward to today. It seems a grain of sand from the vehicle ahead on a multi-lane highway causes fractured windshields. Go Figure!