Buick Reatta Tinted Windows?

Olyeg

I’m thinking about tinting my windows on my Buick Reatta. A lot of sun comes through into the Reatta and heats up the vehicle quite a lot. Visually just wanted to see if anyone out there has tinted their Reatta and what they thought about it afterwords. Does a Buick Reatta look good after getting tinted or is it better having it original? 

I had the windows in my coupe tinted about 15 years ago.  I am very happy with the work and it does keep the interior a bit cooler.  Some states have laws re how dark you can tint the windows so check your state's laws first.  Also, find a good tint shop.  That rear window is not easy to do.

IMG_3527.JPG

• Like 1

I can't find any relatively closeup photos of my car which was tinted back in the 90's. It sounds like you are already pretty experienced with having tinting done. Franklly, mine really needs to be redone, but I am honestly surprised by the number of Reatta's that are still clear glass, even in southern states. It seems like a no brainer to me with the size of the greenhouse relative to the interior. My first brand new car, a 1975 AMC Pacer, had a somewhat similar layout, and was hot as can be in the summer. The interior takes a beating, the A/C has to work harder etc...  The only thing I can say from my experience is the rear should be a dark tint, maybe not limousine level, but dark and the side widows no more than 50% or the view out the side at night, especially at intersections, is very challenging, local laws not withstanding. I don't know if available or not, but a gradient tint on the side windows would be just the ticket, dark at top and lighter below or photo reactive like photo gray type glasses.JMHO 

I'm wondering how hard tint would be able to get off the back window without damaging the rear window defroster, Wouldn't be a big deal to me since I never use the defroster but it might be a consideration to those who part their car outside.

That’s nice man I know that upside down White House anywhere, gotta love the Dells. 😅 I’ve decided I am going to get the car tinted. So when I get it done I’ll post pictures of it both exterior and interior ones. 

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'm wondering how hard tint would be able to get off the back window without damaging the rear window defroster, Wouldn't be a big deal to me since I never use the defroster but it might be a consideration to those who part their car outside.

I have never used the rear defrost either and it has been a summer only car since the mid 90's

In Texas the first thing you do is get the windows tinted.    It is amazing the amount of heat it stops. 

The back window of the coupe is a big deal to tint.... most shops do it in two pieces.   

My guy did my coupe with one piece (because he does a lot of windows)  and newer films can be manipulated 

better than the earlier stuff. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It looks good but that looks darker than what is legal in in Tennessee. In TN 35% is the darkest allowed. Do you know what percentage your film is?

The local police where I live will write you a ticket for it but they will tear it up if you remove the tint and take the car by and let them look at it. If the Tennessee highway Patrol gives you a ticket for it being too dark you have to pay the ticket. They don't play around.

-------------------------------------------

Window tint darkness for sedans in Tennessee:

• Windshield: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
  • Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
  • Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
  • Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Maybe a younger owner wouldn’t have as much of an issue but dark tinting on the side windows of the drivers compartment make night visibility at intersections downright scary for older eyes. That said, mine has been tinted since the 90’s, but the side windows are no darker than 50%, maybe a bit more. The back window needs to be dark for sure. I think I had heard about a gradient tint which would be nice on the sides. My $.02

I’ve never had any problems with any of my cars tinted, but I also don’t give cops a reason to pull me over in the first place. My advice is tint what you feel comfortable with. Remember you can always put your windows down when pulled over. 

Shops around Orlando all know what the Florida law is and tint accordingly. The one thing not mentioned so far is a band of about 5 inches on the upper part of the windshield above your eye level (above the AS-1 line).

• 2 weeks later...