1968 Wildcat GM company car

wildcatsrule

I thought I'd share the interesting story of my latest acquisition.

This is a 1968 Buick Wildcat custom coupe that was sent to the Frigidaire division of GM to be driven by their executives. In fact, on the window sticker, instead of a dealership's name and address is Frigidaire-GMC Dayton, Ohio. The agreement GM made with Frigidaire was that while it was their company car, GM could borrow it from time to time and do testing with it on the oval track. GM assigned this car a three digit code, which is visible in the door jamb and referenced numerous times in the paperwork from 1968 that I received with the car. There is evidence that there were  modifications made to the engine and transmission to enhance performance. 

One of the engineers at Frigidaire drove this as his company car. In the fall of '68 the car was taken out of service as a company car and sent to a Buick dealership to be re-sold. The engineer bought the car and owned it for 15 years. He retired to Texas and eventually sold the car after interviewing at least five individuals. He wanted to insure that the car would not be hot rodded or modified.

The next owner purchased the car in 1983 and owned it for 39 years. He hadn't been driving the car. The car was beginning to show signs of aging and deterioration. This gentleman decided to see if he could find a next caretaker who would respect the history of the car and honor the wishes of the original owner.  

In steps yours truly. I had to be interviewed to have the chance at purchasing the car and was blessed enough to be given the chance to buy it. I explained to the owner that my passion is 1968 Buick Wildcats and that is what I collect. I have been passionate about these cars ever since my parents purchased a new '68 Wildcat 4 door sedan, which became my first car when I turned 16. I've written a few Bugle articles about my cars. 

This is such a blessing, a thrill and an honor to be the next caretaker of the car. I never thought I would have the opportunity to own a GM company car! It is one of the most loaded '68 Wildcats I've ever seen. It came with three air cleaners-a stock one, one that was modified with dual snorkels and a chrome lid as well as a "Star Wars" air cleaner. I received the window sticker, build sheet, protect-o-plate and lots of receipts dating back to 1968 that verify its pedigree and provenance. 

IMG_1265.jpeg

IMG_1268.jpeg

Edited by wildcatsrule (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Keep the pictures coming!  So, are there any documents describing the performance modifications?  Were they precursors to the factory Stage 1/ Stage 2 packages?  A picture of the Fisher data plate would be interesting to see...  ;)

There are no documents regarding the performance modifications, however the engineer who had the car said that the 430 in this car performed differently than any other car with a 430 that he had driven. I noticed there is an additional oil filler opening on the passenger side rocker cover, which I haven't seen on a 430 engine before. The original engine has never been rebuilt, so when that time comes , once the engine is opened up it will reveal whatever custom modifications were done.

The previous owner to me had the transmission rebuilt in the '80's. The transmission shop called the then owner after he had left the car with them, and the shop said that the transmission was not a stock TH400. They said there was a lot of custom work done internally that they had never seen before. The transmission was modified as though it was built to handle a lot more torque from the engine.

This car has been sitting for awhile and I need to do some mechanical/carb work on it before I can drive it any distance to get a sense of how it really performs. 

Edited by wildcatsrule (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 6:15 AM, Pete Phillips said:

David,

The seller found the right guy for this Wildcat!  Congratulations. When you have the time, send me some photos on a computer flash drive or disc, and let's do a Bugle article on this one!

Pete Phillips

Thanks Pete-I'm on it! I already have the article written, just need to get the pictures taken.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...