31 Nash 880 twin 8 backfire

31nash880

Flat lobe?

If the cam is bad, then it and it's cam followers (lifters) will have to come out, and be sent off to a cam grinding outfit for repair. Maybe there is a cam grinder local to you? I have had good luck with Delta Cams of Tacoma, WA.

It may be possible to get the cam out without pulling the engine... or not. The shop manual may have clues about that. it is not a trivial job. If the cam is removable with the engine still in the car, EVERYTHING directly in front of the engine has to come off. Some prewar cars are designed to take the whole nose off as an assembly. Others you might have to just pull the radiator and grille and maybe headlights or anything else that happens to be in the way.

It also might be time to think about whether it is time to pull the engine out of the car and do the whole thing. It can get expensive.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

To keep a long story short. I need a distributor with lower part including shaft and gear. Had him run engine on one ignition then other since twin plug with full twin ignition. All cylinders fire but not both systems. Have worried about this since a great deal of play between upper and lower shafts.

Cam does show wear. Not too bad.

Will be at Charlotte show next month if anyone has contacts.

Thanks to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

About time I updated progress. First, thanks to all for all the help.

Took intake and exhaust manifolds off. Thanks to Olsons for full gasket set. Thanks to those that suggested checking exhaust manifold. Had to have shaved. Also blocked off heat riser. All reinstalled with no leaks.

Pulled distributor and lower shaft. Cleaned alot of buildup off gears. Synchronized points.( all new and hard to find).

Reassembled today. No backfiring!!!

Will be rebuilding fuel pump tomorrow and hope for a successful test drive. 

For those that have not seen the car

1931 Nash 880

20201107_164018.jpg

Edited by 31nash880
Add info (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Notice most of the problems are caused by basics. The cam couldn’t have been bad with the compression readings you posted. Now it’s running.......and trust me, it’s not running right. Lack of a backfire is only one symptom cured. Before you go further.........make sure it’s not lean, run it to see if it overheats or drops oil pressure. First prove the bones are good..........get a few hundred miles on it.....and then you can tune it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...