1940 Buick Ecoboost

Decided 4 years ago I wanted to modernize my Buick and do something unique with it. It’s finally close to being back on the road. Just waiting on a driveshaft and rear end rebuild, before starting the interior and paint. 

it’s a 2.3L ecoboost w/ 6r80 trans. Scott’s hot rods front end, coilovers all around, 4 link rear, electronic power steering, AC, etc. it’s been a journey…

3BBEA634-EBFA-4314-BFEC-737B622F78F0.jpeg

2BEDB3BB-FB14-40CB-A2E5-92C87895EEA2.jpeg

DFD71906-6CEC-4383-94A8-3019C42100DE.jpeg

2FFF22FE-1409-4A71-8B19-6D4319E040D3.jpeg

7C25E5D8-F306-4B20-BB07-328FE73668C6.jpeg

3B6ED57A-5C66-4227-95DF-0284656693C9.jpeg

278FC102-928B-4AC5-8A67-7C0B978849A1.jpeg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I would like to see that when complete.  When do you expect to finish?

Ben

Just got word my driveshaft came in, so mechanically it should be done in the next couple of weeks. Paint and interior scheduling seem to pose their own challenges right now. Hoping the entire project is completed this year, but we'll see how that goes. I'll update as I make progress. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Looking forward to your first drive.  What part of the world do you call home.?

Neat tires.  What are they?   Wild wheels.

Ben

I’m in Atlanta. The tires are Diamond Backs, they make a time of different white and redline tires for custom applications. Wheels are 18” Detroit Steel Ambassadors. They look orettt sharp with the baby moons and rings installed. 

7834F3E3-AE20-4E41-8D68-59DF481279A2.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would say "Tissue Rejection!", but at least it's not an LS.  Neat car and such.  Be sure to look around for some of the idiosyncracies of the EcoBoost motors, as to intake tract deposits and such, for good measure.  

Keep us posted,

NTX5467

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Which electronics package to run the engine and transmission?  Just curious.

Next one you do, look for a 2022 Silverado with the Turbo 4cyl (standard engine) in it for a donor vehicle.  Usually having the ZF 8-speed automatic with it.  The 2022 Silverado I have at work is that combination.  It builds speed quickly with little throttle input and is getting over 23mpg in the way I normally drive it.  The prior 5.3L Sierra was at 19.2mpg average, by comparison.  GMPowertrain did a great job with that 2.7L 4cyl turbo motor!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 12:55 AM, NTX5467 said:

Usually having the ZF 8-speed automatic with it.

If I started a modified project the first thing I would check would be adaptability of a ZF transmission. I had a ZF 6 speed in my BMW 760 V12 and it felt like my '60 Dynaflow. A pleasure to drive and to be aware of the feeling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/9/2022 at 9:37 AM, Aceswild03 said:

Just got word my driveshaft came in, so mechanically it should be done in the next couple of weeks. Paint and interior scheduling seem to pose their own challenges right now. Hoping the entire project is completed this year, but we'll see how that goes. I'll update as I make progress. 

Knock knock.... we want to see the finished product!!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 4:04 PM, NC-car-guy said:

Knock knock.... we want to see the finished product!!

Sorry, been gone for a while! Actually just got the car back home Tuesday, after 4+ years in the shop. I'll post an update very soon! 

• Like 1

A few pics from picking it up at the shop and when I got it home and started polishing it up again. 

It runs awesome, a blast to drive, the bump shift option on the Lokar sport shifter is a lot of fun too! I’ll post some more details and pics of the build as soon as I have time. Been a busy week since I got it home. 

Appreciate the interest in what a lot of folks may consider a dumb build or a waste of money 💰 

Andy 

IMG_4994.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

IMG_4956.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 12:05 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I LIKE IT!!

Does it perform as you expected and wanted?

Interesting garage floor.

Ben

Thanks, Ben! Performs great, I’m loving it. I’ve put almost 500 miles on it so far which is probably what I put on it the 10 yrs prior to now combined. Spent the last week tracking down all the thunks, bangs, squeaks and rattles. Bout got all of them located and fixed. On to the interior shop as soon as I can get in. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 10:34 AM, NC-car-guy said:

Looks awesome!  Does it have the driving modes like the 2.3 in the mustang?

It’s got normal drive mode and sport. Sport makes a considerable difference with throttle response and shift points. 

• Like 1

Nice to know.  Does it have cruise?  Where will you mount the switches?  (I imagine they were steering wheel mounted in the 2.3 donor car). I was considering a 3.5 ecoboost in my Lincoln, but was worried about loosing cruise control on my long trips.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Aceswild03 said:

I didn’t have them hook up the cruise control. The wire is there for it if I wanted my interior guy to install it, but I have no need for it as I just don’t ever use it in any of my cars. 

What harness did you use?  Original? Ron Francis?

15 hours ago, Aceswild03 said:

Modified the ecoboost wiring harness and a new body wiring harness to require to entire car. 

Awesome.  Sifting through an original harness can be a bear.  Did you send your ECM off for reprogram?