Email approval from a certain ISP

carbking

As I would like this thread to stay, and I understand the forum's policy on named companies, I am NOT naming the company in question; please leave it that way.

I occasionally get emails from potential customers at this specific ISP only. When I reply to the email, I get this message:

"I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:"

And then there is a link for me to click.

Is this a normal thing from a certain ISP, or an option? Does anyone know?

In addition to training in math, physics, and carburetors; I was trained, and worked as a computer systems programmer, and was a department head of a college computer science department; so professionally I can state: ONLY A COMPLETE FOOL WILL CLICK ON A LINK IN AN EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if your ISP sends these things, and you WANT an answer from me, either call, or have someone on a different service send the email!

And if you were the sender of any of these, and got no answer, now you know why!

Jon.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, carbking said:

As I would like this thread to stay, and I understand the forum's policy on named companies, I am NOT naming the company in question; please leave it that way.

I occasionally get emails from potential customers at this specific ISP only. When I reply to the email, I get this message:

"I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:"

And then there is a link for me to click.

Is this a normal thing from a certain ISP, or an option? Does anyone know?

In addition to training in math, physics, and carburetors; I was trained, and worked as a computer systems programmer, and was a department head of a college computer science department; so professionally I can state: ONLY A COMPLETE FOOL WILL CLICK ON A LINK IN AN EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So if your ISP sends these things, and you WANT an answer from me, either call, or have someone on a different service send the email!

And if you were the sender of any of these, and got no answer, now you know why!

Jon.

Jon, that is the *exact* language used by my ISP, earthlink, for for @earthlink.net and the early ISPs it gobbled up 20 years ago including @mindspring.com and @ix.netcom.com for those customers, like me, who have their spamblockers turned up to high gain.  (And which has saved me a whole lot of grief over the years.)  When their customers initiate an email to an email address which is not currently in their address book, upon sending the customer has an option to "white list" / approve in advance a reply from that email address by clicking "save" at the prompt.

But it was not I who sent you the message

If an ISP or individual is asking for a reply and has not already approved you, you should consider it as spam and delete it. It really does not matter if it is spam or not. It is rude and inconsiderate of your time and effort. If they are that concerned they should pick up a phone and call you during the hours you CLEARLY state on your website. Yes, I am very unforgiving of inconsiderate people!

• Like 1

These days, any decent e-mail provider will have largely eliminated spam by using advanced filters.  The idea of a "pre-approved e-mail" list, requiring people to jump through hoops before they send you e-mail as a way to control spam, is seriously outdated.  

• Like 1