1913 Case

pmhowe

I attended a small car show in Melbourne, Florida today. It didn't have very many prewar cars, but it did have a 1913 Case Model 30 N. It is a handsome car, beautifully restored.  I have attached a couple of pictures.

Phil

IMG-1654.jpg

IMG-1652.jpg

• Like 4

J.I.Case, (James Increase Case) originally from New York then relocated to Racine Wisconsin.  Originally built horse powers, then steam tractors then gas/diesel farm equipment.  My family were case tractor dealers from 1945 to about 1967, Case took the dealership from us and gave it to another family who went bankrupt and took the company and many local folks for millions.  It was a lucky break for us we moved on from the agribusiness and prospered.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Avanti Bill said:

J.I.Case, (James Increase Case) originally from New York then relocated to Racine Wisconsin.  Originally built horse powers, then steam tractors then gas/diesel farm equipment.  My family were case tractor dealers from 1945 to about 1967, Case took the dealership from us and gave it to another family who went bankrupt and took the company and many local folks for millions.  It was a lucky break for us we moved on from the agribusiness and prospered.

Here is a 1911 Case.

Craig

11_Case.jpg

3 hours ago, pmhowe said:

I attended a small car show in Melbourne, Florida today. It didn't have very many prewar cars, but it did have a 1913 Case Model 30 N. It is a handsome car, beautifully restored.  I have attached a couple of pictures.

Phil

IMG-1654.jpg

IMG-1652.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is a fantasy body...a design about 5 years too old to be on a 1913 chassis.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

I'm pretty sure that is a fantasy body...a design about 5 years too old to be on a 1913 chassis.

JV,

Thanks, that's  interesting. I have to admit I am very ignorant of the pre-'teens and 'teens body style evolution. It looked very good to me. I was even ready to gently pull a chain and say this car was clearly superior to (say) a contemporary White. I'm glad I didn't.

When I was a teenager, the local car shows (Princeton, Mass) frequently had a couple of Winton Sixes. I thought they were impressive cars. Then I saw a Pierce 66, that had a cast aluminum body. The rest of that car was equally impressive. I will never own one, but that is the car at the top of the pinnacle for me.

Phil

I agree with JV about the body. A later creation in the style of about 1910. Mind you the stock bodywork on a 1913 Case is somewhat slab sided with a boxy cowl and moderately unattractive to my eye. But the Cars are well built and popular within Brass Era ranks.

Here is a catalog illustration of a 1913 Case 30.

Charles D. Test

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

And an unrestored one in the metal. Not particularly graceful in my eye.

I agree. But the 1911 shown above looks better, at least from the angle shown, and I like the looks of the 1925 coupe shown by John In PA.

The Case pictured at the beginning here that body is a figment of someones imagination. Case never built or offered a body such as that. Also Case cars up until about 1915 were all painted Case blue with striping. My family have owned and restored Case cars for over 75 years and we still own 3 or 4 all brass era.

brasscarguy

• Like 1

The real 1913 Case is quite stylish alongside most cars of the same year. Just the style as automobiles transitioned from the carryover horse carriage era into "modern" automobiles. While I actually like the earlier styles better, I am quite fond of the 1913 to 1915 still called "brass era" (whether rightly or wrongly?) cars as well as the later teens and early 1920s cars also.

While a simple surrey type body might be easy to make and used to get a 1913 chassis onto the road? I would much prefer to see a proper 1913 touring or roadster body replicated onto such a chassis. Even if it wasn't exactly like the original (although the closer the better). Even a well done speedster could be more "era correct".