1957-1960 Torque Ball Leak Repair Video

Smartin

• Smartin changed the title to 1957-1960 Torque Ball Leak Repair Video

That works fine if the car isn't 6' above the ground.  I just don't trust that rear end only hanging via the shocks or springs alone.  And really, 90% of the time when I do this job, the entire rear comes out of the car for a detail job.

I did a bit of searching and see that the last year they require adjustments with shims is 55.  Each year after that, the manual states that no shim adjustment is required on a bonded rubber torque ball.  So this video theoretically could be relevant for 56 as well.

• Like 1

Nice video, you could make your own guide pins, 2 for the torque ball retainer, and 2 for the torque tube by using 2 long bolts for each and use a cut off tool and cut the heads off and use cut off tool to cut a slot in the head area you just cut off for a slot for straight blade screw driver, also might be easier for one person to do by using Kent Moore tool number J-6741 rear end axle jack for torque tube, might be able to align up easier going back in, if you want to see picture of tool, in the search window for the AACA forum enter tool number kent moore J6741. I will keep me eye out for any more videos you post.

Bob

Edited by NailheadBob (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Smartin said:

That works fine if the car isn't 6' above the ground.  I just don't trust that rear end only hanging via the shocks or springs alone.  And really, 90% of the time when I do this job, the entire rear comes out of the car for a detail job.

I did a bit of searching and see that the last year they require adjustments with shims is 55.  Each year after that, the manual states that no shim adjustment is required on a bonded rubber torque ball.  So this video theoretically could be relevant for 56 as well.

I pull the entire rear as well. No shims needed on my 54. I used the vulcanized torque ball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smartin said:

Thanks Bob.  Hindsight says I could have used a couple pins that were 3” long.  I don’t plan that far ahead, and I’ve had ok luck just muscling it in most of the time 🤣

I use the pins. It's the only way when one has no help getting it back together! 

• Like 1

Adam,

On your brake issue, you noticed the new metal brake lines, you may have air trapped in the system, follow page 9-12 in the shop manual for bleeding sequence first L/F, R/F,L/R,R/R worked for me ask me how I know.

If you have to remove master brake cylinder or booster, I made a tool to remove large nut for 1957 & 1958 Buick's see January 2020 page 38 in the Buick Bugle. 

Bob

• Like 1

My detailing got pretty picky, right down to matching the brake line gravel protector spring wrap and Imron paint.

008.JPG.cda02be6c74930a5c8638d30125a091c.JPG

Here was my motivation for the removal. One dry cap and a little squeak.

025a.jpg.c4f8e83766abdb7d002dd276ab938deb.jpg

My biggest problem was finding the torque to chassis chassis brake hose. I had one made locally: https://www.empireradiator.com/services/brakequip-ezibend-tube/

They were sticklers about having my old hose before they made the new one.

Adam, great video! Before I took delivery of my 60 LeSabre Matt Harwood advised me of a significant torque ball leak and was kind enough to include this repair in my purchase. After watching the video I am even more impressed with his generosity. I appreciated the honesty in your video showing the bumps along the way, just like any real car guy will experience.

• Like 2

It has been a while since I posted this picture but it is always good for a '60 owner to know what's in the tube. I had an old friend who would call that u-joint counter-intuitive. And all the ones that haven't been changed are about 10 years older than the picture (hint, hint, nudge, nudge)

RR6.jpg.1e8eea34d0d610284dde42645ccaca7a.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NailheadBob said:

Chris,

I like your idea using the car dollies to move rear axle around.

Bob

It was a big help getting the entire assembly out from under and back in after the joint was replaced.   Especially since I was on my own through the entire repair. 

I used a pair of bare rims to roll my assembly back under. The second picture shows the stack of mounted wheels I put under the rear bumper as my belt and suspenders to be sure it was safely supported with we painted and re-undercoated the bottom.

013a.jpg.d9d969e26d59793704d55c61ec24cab7.jpg

046a.jpg.bde061a6e4e7f0dc884f63f5ae4351ef.jpg