Model of our 1975 C65 Chevy dump truck

jpage

Referring back to the previous thread on working antique commercial vehicles, I decided to build a model for son of his work truck. It was the first big purchase he made when starting his construction business and he's rather proud of it, mainly I guess because it is an antique. this is mostly a scratch built job and I tried to capture the worked but not worn out look. Of coarse, I'm no Roger Zimmerman, but it came out fairly well. There is a lot of work to convert a standard square body into a short nosed medium duty!  The bed and hydraulic lift is totally scratch built. I was fortunate to have found a guy building the same type of model who 3 D printed the grille, which really looks realistic and makes the model! Here's some photos. The last two are from the real truck. Sadly, I have no way to make the white decals! Enjoy!

DSC02369.JPG

DSC02366 (2).JPG

DSC02367.JPG

DSC02370.JPG

DSC02371.JPG

DSC02377.JPG

DSC02384.JPG

DSC02385.JPG

DSC02386.JPG

DSC02379.JPG

DSC02390.JPG

DSC02391.JPG

DSC02387.JPG

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02394.JPG

DSC02395.JPG

DSC02388.JPG

DSC02392.JPG

Doug's Truck 1.jpg

Doug's Truck 2.jpg

Doug's Truck 3.jpg

Doug's Truck 4.jpg

Doug's Truck 5.jpg

Doug's Truck 6.jpg

Doug's Truck 7.jpg

Doug's Truck 8.jpg

Doug's Truck 10.jpg

DSC02359.JPG

DSC02360.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I don't have experience them yet, but for decals look into having some rub on transfers made. They look popular with model makers and have very good detail. I was looking for a solution for reproducing the artwork on a gauge face and these look like a good, affordable solution for my situation. You need to have the image in a vector file format. Basically that means the image is made mathematically, not with pixels. I'm going to try using inkscape, a free program, to create it. For the decal service, customrubontransfers.com is the most affordable place I have found. White decals start at $25.

The wavy bed floor is the result of the cement on the crossbraces acting on the thin plastic. I did not expect that at all! With a little weathering it did look realistic!  Thanks!  shortly after getting the truck, my son converted the end gate to a barn door swing out type, to prevent demolition material from getting hung up on the gate. i didn't feel like getting into all that!

And Biily K., there was a company, now defunct, that had a resin cab unit available for a time, but it had the front lift hood and, from what I had gleaned from the internet, not very nice! I think I'm happier with my version!

• Like 2