4GC Rebuild question

Brtele

I’m putting my cleaned 65 401 4GC carb back together and I’ma little concerned the gasket pictured will provide a vacuum leak between the primary throttle plates and the bowl connection. Am I looking at this correctly?

The “shiny” area on the throttle plate is a different pattern than the gasket. 

Thanks for the help.

0218A96A-7318-48EB-94FB-26BB0053F3E6.jpeg

8C9AB3BA-0CC0-4A02-B60A-2CEE6933D26E.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Brtele said:

I’m putting my cleaned 65 401 4GC carb back together and I’ma little concerned the gasket pictured will provide a vacuum leak between the primary throttle plates and the bowl connection. Am I looking at this correctly?

The “shiny” area on the throttle plate is a different pattern than the gasket. 

Thanks for the help.

0218A96A-7318-48EB-94FB-26BB0053F3E6.jpeg

8C9AB3BA-0CC0-4A02-B60A-2CEE6933D26E.jpeg

That`s the gasket I referred to in your other thread! Here, toward the last postings:

Tom Mooney

4GC use at least two different bowl-to-throttle plate gaskets, both of which should be in a rebuild kit. Using the incorrect gasket will create idle and vacuum leak issues. Go with what carbking says unless you have a factory shop manual.

My view on 4GC is that they're either very good or junk. I had one that I fought with for more than ten years. I smiled the day I threw it in the dumpster.

Good night, I had the gasket upside down in the initial picture. Once I flipped it and read carbkings’ linked tech article, it makes more sense.

I’ll also try to do a better job of searching before posting per jolly_john’s recommendation.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT - I REMOVED THE IMAGE AS THE GASKET WAS INCORRECTLY PLACED IN THE PIC AND DIDN'T WANT TO CREATE FURTHER MISINFORMATION.

Edited by Brtele (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, telriv said:

Brandon,

The way the gasket is on the base now is WRONG. On the bottom right you can see it will have a vacuum leak. The gasket NEEDS to be flipped over.

Tom T.

You’re correct, there was only 1 way the gasket would fit on correctly when I placed it over the gasket guide pins. Thanks 

• Like 1