Prewar exhaust system supplier

a griffin

I'm working on the restoration of a 33 Lincoln KA

I've left a message at Classic

I've got a call into Waldron's - they are looking for patterns

MJ Exhaust - kindly declined the job

Antigo auto - Doesn't have the patterns pre '36

Read numerous bad reviews of a place that starts with "K"

The last two pre war cars I restored - a 33 Buick series 50 and a 31 Pierce had systems mail ordered and I thought it would be the same with this Lincoln.

Does anyone have another supplier that I have overlooked? I know I could go to my local muffler shop, but I am looking for "original" vs. something other than........

Waldron's Exhaust – Car exhaust, truck exhaust, exhaust pipes, mufflers (waldronexhaust.com) 

This shop I have used for over 50yrs with nary a problem.  They are slow, they warn 8-12wks lead time right now, but they have factory prints for all kinds of pre-war cars and offer systems in aluminized steel or stainless.   You can price your system on their website.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

Waldron's Exhaust – Car exhaust, truck exhaust, exhaust pipes, mufflers (waldronexhaust.com) 

This shop I have used for over 50yrs with nary a problem.  They are slow, they warn 8-12wks lead time right now, but they have factory prints for all kinds of pre-war cars and offer systems in aluminized steel or stainless.   You can price your system on their website.

They were one of the first I called. They have incorrect info on their website and when I talked to them, they stated they would need to look at what they have and get back to me. As I've restored several cars, I understand the lead time and try to order things a few weeks before they are needed. The lead time doesn't bother me too much.

2 hours ago, a griffin said:

They were one of the first I called. They have incorrect info on their website and when I talked to them, they stated they would need to look at what they have and get back to me. As I've restored several cars, I understand the lead time and try to order things a few weeks before they are needed. The lead time doesn't bother me too much.

That's pretty unusual that they have something wrong with their website but certainly possible and I would expect they will make that right.   I suspect the long lead time is because mufflers are ordered as required from a Canadian vendor.  

I said I had no problems with them ever but in my case the year/make was always 1931 Buick and for only 2 models, an 8-86 coupe over 50 years ago and the 8-66S I'm currently restoring.  That said they always delivered what they said they would in the predicted time frame at a reasonable price and the parts fit like a glove. 

For the first car I had in 1970 I found Burton Waldron in Hemmings, called and ordered by phone, then a couple weeks later drove to Nottawa, MI to pick up my muffler and pipes.  Burt was sitting in a chair in front of an old dirt floor garage with the central fixtures being a tube bending machine and racks of straight tube.    The muffler was NOS coated in protective tar.  I asked him where on earth he ever found a NOS muffler to give me and he pointed to an old barn toward the back of the property and said he had lots of mufflers in the barn...

Burt is long gone and the business moved to modern facilities a couple miles up the road in Centreville.

Anyhow- sorry you are having trouble sourcing parts for the Lincoln...

6 minutes ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

That's pretty unusual that they have something wrong with their website but certainly possible and I would expect they will make that right.   I suspect the long lead time is because mufflers are ordered as required from a Canadian vendor.  

I said I had no problems with them ever but in my case the year/make was always 1931 Buick and for only 2 models, an 8-86 coupe over 50 years ago and the 8-66S I'm currently restoring.  That said they always delivered what they said they would in the predicted time frame at a reasonable price and the parts fit like a glove. 

For the first car I had in 1970 I found Burton Waldron in Hemmings, called and ordered by phone, then a couple weeks later drove to Nottawa, MI to pick up my muffler and pipes.  Burt was sitting in a chair in front of an old dirt floor garage with the central fixtures being a tube bending machine and racks of straight tube.    The muffler was NOS coated in protective tar.  I asked him where on earth he ever found a NOS muffler to give me and he pointed to an old barn toward the back of the property and said he had lots of mufflers in the barn...

Burt is long gone and the business moved to modern facilities a couple miles up the road in Centreville.

Anyhow- sorry you are having trouble sourcing parts for the Lincoln...

That's a great memory. Thanks for sharing.

11 hours ago, kgreen said:

If there is anything left of your exhaust system, send it to Waldron's and they will replicate it.  For that matter, a local shop might do just as well.

Sadly, there's nothing left to copy.

Waldron's did call me back and said they would be able to make a system for me even though their posted information was incorrect.

• Like 1

20 years ago ran into waldron at Hershey     told them I needed a exhaust for 31 plymouth    gave  them $ 100 on the spot     the pipe, when I got it  was not correct       called and got a argument I was told to take to MIDAS MUFFLER !!!!!   at that time they advertised in " OLD CARS" magazine    I said I would contact the paper and get their ad pulled     the wife called and said they were sorry they took it  back    then tried to use KEPLITCH  in Florida    it took two tries to get the pipe done rite    THAT'S WHY ALL RESTORES GO TO HEAVEN WHEN THEY DIE  

28 minutes ago, broker-len said:

20 years ago ran into waldron at Hershey     told them I needed a exhaust for 31 plymouth    gave  them $ 100 on the spot     the pipe, when I got it  was not correct       called and got a argument I was told to take to MIDAS MUFFLER !!!!!   at that time they advertised in " OLD CARS" magazine    I said I would contact the paper and get their ad pulled     the wife called and said they were sorry they took it  back    then tried to use KEPLITCH  in Florida    it took two tries to get the pipe done rite    THAT'S WHY ALL RESTORES GO TO HEAVEN WHEN THEY DIE  

Yes, Burton Waldron could be quite confrontational and obstinate when dealing with fitment and installation issues. Customer relations and co-operative problem resolution were not his strong points, but he meant well. When I purchased Waldron's in 2006, one of my primary objectives was improving our problem resolution processes.

I think you would find the company has changed in the past 20 years. The current owner is very customer-focused.

Burton passed away a couple of years ago; may he rest in peace.

• Like 2