Fire Extinguisher Mounting - Mid 20's Buick

Hubert_25-25

My Buick has no trunk.  I wanted a place to store a fire extinguisher that was readily accessible.  I found this mounting bracket and using a piece of 1.5 x 1.5 angle iron, I mounted this using the bolts that hold the scuff plates on the running board.   This is on the passenger side and the extinguisher is mainly behind the apron, but can be seen from below and the release knob is easy to get to.     

Hugh

IMG_0979.JPG.ce0b65ed37e19c3d9108a572da671f40.JPGIMG_0986.JPG.8b3935f31d6fb61514c09a795d2cc030.JPG2057986058_FireExtinguishermount1.JPG.ec8904eeb1bf815e0f32675b1734a521.JPG

Hugh, 

What are your thoughts on an automated temperature-activated fire suppression system with a manual emergency pull cord?

Initial expensive investment, but maybe its worth it?  <$1k investment for a $20k+ car?  Is 5% a reasonable risk-reduction value?

I am not sure about maintenance costs of an automated system, e.g. does the Novec or FM-200 gas have a shelf life and do the canisters need replacing (annually, 5yrs, etc.)?

I figured I would pick your brain based on your chem background to see what you think.

I figure the highest statistically volatile locations in a car would likely be the carb, fuel pump, exhaust manifold, ignition/distributor and maybe under the dashboard.

Obviously that is a lot of additional piping that likely won't be capable of being hidden when specifically targeting areas for what can be an unknown and inexact initiating event like a flame/fire.

Or, maybe mount the ring-type suppression system to the firewall to 'forward-wash' the entire engine compartment in Novec gas?

What is the cuft area of a typical engine compartment, 50cuft? 

How large of a compressed gas tank would be required for xx seconds to ensure full extinguish, or at least delay the fire spread long enough for someone to supplement with a hand extinguisher?

I know, rabbit hole science project...

I am not promoting this, just an example of an automated system on the market for talking points.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=7035

Thoughts?

17 hours ago, 32buick67 said:

What are your thoughts on an automated temperature-activated fire suppression system with a manual emergency pull cord?

Not interested for vintage cars.  I think preventing fire by prudent routing of metallic fuel lines along with routine use of a reliable fuel shut off valve just ahead of the carb & fuel filter are more practical. 

Your proposed system is for high powered race cars, not antiques.

A fuel shut off just ahead of the fuel pump and carburetor pretty much guarantees that it will not be accessible in case of an engine compartment fire. At the gas tank also protects in case of fuel line problems. Sometimes this requires an actuating rod to make it readily operable without getting under or inside the car.

In two of my cars, the fire extinguisher is laying on the floor in the back seat. Open touring cars so I can just reach over the seat and get the extinguisher. 

On the truck, it is located right behind the drivers seat in the bed.  Easily accessed.

On a different location, how many of you have your home extinguisher located above the stove in the kitchen?  Absolutely the wrong place.  Should be in the kitchen opposite of the stove in the room.

I also keep a couple of fire extinguishers in the garage by the door going into the house.  One a dry chemical and a CO2 depending on the fire. ( I was on a fire dept. for a number of years)  There are more in my shop, and they are not the little ones about the size of a quart of milk.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)