Where did you find the gasket

RivNut

Going to have to find a new NAPA.  I called this afternoon to see if I could look and compare gaskets to my heat riser.  The counter person said, "There all in boxes. Open a box and consider it sold."  There are some more options to explore so I'm not giving up hope.  IF I do find a good one, I'll be sure to post a brand and part #.

5 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ed,

The Napa in my town has gasket boards for each type of gasket with the size and outlines of the gaskets. You need exhaust Napa gasket # 31534 which is a perfect fit.

Tom

Great, I’ll check it out.  Hopefully that “helpful” counter guy is at lunch. 
Thanks, Ed

I found the gasket. 😁 Part #31534 is good at NAPA, Advance Auto, AutoZone, and O'Reilly's. (the only four that I Googled) From what I can tell it's a universal gasket.  No name on the package but O'Reilly's shows it as a Nickson, Advance and Autozone show it as a Walker, NAPA shows it under their NAPA Line.  The package just says "Exhaust System accessory"  Made in India.  

If you're redoing your system, here are the parts that I used: Makes one stop shopping easy.

Gasket between manifold and heat riser - 31534

Short studs - Dorman 675-082 

Long studs - Dorman 675 - 109

These studs are 1/2-13 where they go into the manifold, and 1/2- 20 for the nut

Grade 8 nuts - Dorman 962-023D (1/2-20)

Grade 8 split lock washers Dorman 965-114D (1/2" ID)

I got all of these parts at O'Reilly's because it's closest to me. These #s are good for manifolds with the separate heat riser.  I would imagine that if you have the built in heat riser, you would need four of the shorter studs, and none of the longer ones and no gasket.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, telriv said:

NO lock washers should be used on the exhaust flange nuts. Why try & over think what the factory did??? IF you want to do something positive use brass nuts.

Tom T.

Tom, do the French locks perform a similar function to lock washers?

8 hours ago, Chasander said:

Ed  Is the lock washer shown in the parts manual? The lock washer could lose tension and the nut loosen due to high heat. Aircraft grade nuts are very hard preventing a lock washer from digging in.  

5 hours ago, telriv said:

NO lock washers should be used on the exhaust flange nuts. Why try & over think what the factory did??? IF you want to do something positive use brass nuts.

Tom T.

Good to know. I didn’t take the nuts off so I had no reference. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, telriv said:

IF you want to do something positive use brass nuts.

Yes - you'll thank yourself in the future when you need to drop the exhaust pipes for some engine, suspension, or exhaust work!  ;)