parking lights and stop lights

cquisuila

41 minutes ago, The 55er said:

The front parking lights should not come on when you depress the brake pedal, only the rear brake lights should be operable.

it is well that i thought ! it is a court circuit ...

4 hours ago, cquisuila said:

Is it normal when i press the brake pedal, the parking lights are efficient as the stop lights ?

Totally separate circuits.

However, I'm sure you are aware by now that the turn signals and brake indication share the same filaments of the 1157 bulbs in the rear.

yes if i push my hazard switch it lights the tachymeter (lights left and right)

but if i press the brake pedal it lights the parking lights and the 2 lights signal on tachymeter

i must verify the wiring on my hazard....grrrr !!:(

yes Ed !!

it is my problem

in France the stop and signal lights are INDEPENDANT

in USA it is common🤥

I don't want brake lights AND 4 way flashers at the same time

🤥 and more the parking lights is efficient when i depress brake pedal ;)

image.png.1a16ce7e02b47564f97f401245318dd3.png

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

I would say that unless you can somehow rig up an extra set of lights, you’re not going to be able to accomplish what you’re trying to do.  Does France not have some kind of “ grandfather clause” that allows cars built before a certain date to be exempt from some regulations?  

I'm not sure what year Riviera you have.  

Most GM cars from the late 1950's through the 1970's had a long single row connection for the turn signal switch on the column.  The traditional (usual) wire colors are white, green, yellow, purple, brown, dark blue, light blue.

The brake signal to the turn signal switch is the white wire from the brake light switch. You'll want to cut that wire and feed that as the power to the brake light filaments.  If you're installing separate amber signal lights on the back for turn signals, you'll route the wiring from the 1157 bulbs in the red stop/tail/turn lamps for the turn signal to your amber signal lights.  Use a wire from the white wire from the turn signal switch to power the brake light filaments  in the 1157 bulbs directly from the the white wire from the brake light switch.

It sounds like you're trying to just join the amber signal lamps to the brighter filaments for the 1157 bulbs.  That won't quite work the way you want.

This document is from a universal kit that uses the GM column switch and mostly follows the GM wire colors.  It also shows how it's wired for stop/turn signal on the same bulb, and how to change it for separate amber turn signal lamps.

https://smhttp-ssl-87263.nexcesscdn.net/media/productattachments/files/92972292_510489_IN_0.0_1.pdf

I hope that helps.

If you need to comply with certain regulations for separate brake and turn signal lamps, you are going to have to incorporate separate bulbs for each system and create a new entire harness to accept two separate systems.  It has been such a long time since I owned my 66s and 67 that I cannot remember if each taillight housing has one or two bulbs.  If the housing has two bulbs, you are half way there for your task of creating a new harness. I would bet there are others in France who own vintage American cars. Your best bet would be to ask them what they did.

it is exactly the white wire

i understand

i think ,in the rear, i have 4 parts

- 3 lights !!!!!!   for tail, lights and signal !!!!!

- 1 light (on the extremity to center) for back light

i think that i separate the light here with :

- 1 light for the signal only

- i will keep 2 lights for tail and stop together

- 1 light which not changes with back light

thank you  Ed and Racer X

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

As Professor Higgins said "I think you've got it!" 

Or if France is like other European countries, you could have three circuits (you'd have to give up your back up lights though) One circuit - outer red - for your brake lights, one circuit - inner red - for your flashers, and in the third circuit you would put an amber bulb in your back up light housing (clear lens)  for your turn signals.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The '67 has three tail light bulbs on each side, however, only the two outermost bulbs support brake and turn signals.  The innermost bulb is wired for parking/tail light only.  The backup lights are further inboard of the three bulbs I just described.  I could envision splitting-off the outermost bulb to act as tail and turn signal (remove from the brake circuit) and then have the remaining two act as brake/tail lights.  Then the brake would be separated from the turn signal bulbs and the front and rear turn signals would operate the same way.

Tail lights and parking lights are the same thing.  The tail lights are specifically the rear parking lights, or as you say, the position lights.  All I was saying is all three 1157 bulbs in the rear light housing come on as tail/position lights, but only the outer two have the brake/turn signal filament connected in the wiring harness.  You could modify the harness to run dedicated brake light and turn signal feeds to the rear of the car.  Then, you could rewire the outermost 1157 bulb sockets to have the bright filament of the bulb connected to the turn signal feed and the dim filament remain as a position light (or disconnect, if regulations require a dedicated turn signal).  The middle 1157 socket can remain as original.  Connecting a jumper from the brake light wire on the center bulb to the unwired pin on the innermost 1157 bulb socket will add brake light function to that bulb.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

2 hours ago, cquisuila said:

What are the difference of parking lights and tail lights please ?

IN europe we have position lights.

Your question is like asking the difference between a "hood" and a "bonnet" on a car.

To an American, they are tail lights, and they operate from the "running lights" circuit/fuse. 

To an English person (from England), they are position lights.  Also, English have "indicators" where Americans have "turn signals." 

Adding to the confusion, to a German, "parking lights" are the position lights on the traffic side of the car (and it must only be that side) that must be left illuminated when the car is parked on a public street or road.

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

Or if France is like other European countries, you could have three circuits (you'd have to give up your back up lights though) One circuit - outer red - for your brake lights, one circuit - inner red - for your flashers, and in the third circuit you would put an amber bulb in your back up light housing (clear lens)  for your turn signals.  

Unfortunately, in European countries where amber turn signals are required, and the inspectors check that, reverse lights are also required, and the inspectors check those as well.

However, I do like your solution even if it requires adding one or two clear/white "reverse lights."    I think add-on afterthought "reverse lights" would be less ugly than added amber turn signal lamp assemblies.  An amber bulb may be enough, or the clear (stock) reverse light lens might have to be covered/wrapped with the appropriate amber color.

No offense to the OP, but the French (especially the inspectors) are very persnickety about the lights on their cars. Almost as bad as the German inspectors at the TUV.   But the French do make the absolute best headlights available, so there's a positive side to that.

Edited by Racer-X- (see edit history)

5 hours ago, cquisuila said:

What are the difference of parking lights and tail lights please ?

IN europe we have position lights.

In the United States we use tail lights when we're driving and parking lights when the car is parked and not running.  BUT, they are the same bulb in the same socket.  The use all depends on whether the car is being driven (at night) or being parked (at night).  Very seldom to people use their "parking" lights.  

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

Very seldom to people use their "parking" lights.  

The use of parking lights happned usually when the car was parked where it could cause trouble. Now their primary use is in parades to doll up the car. Many states do not allow travel with parking lamps only. The flasher has taken over the original use of parking lights.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

The use all depends on whether the car is being driven (at night) or being parked (at night).  Very seldom to people use their "parking" lights. 

I use parking lights a whole lot.  They aren't for when the car is parked.  That would be "parked lights," which is what the Germans do with the one side only lighting. 

I use parking lights while I'm parking, IE, driving around a parking lot or driveway at night, when I don't want to be shining headlights in the direction of pedestrians or into peoples windows.  When I pull off the street or road into the parking lot, I'll tun off the headlights and put it in the parking lights position.   When I'm pulling out, I'll drive to the street or road with the parking lights on, then when I'm about to pull out onto the street or road (or rural highway), I'll hit the headlights.

19 hours ago, Racer-X- said:

I use parking lights a whole lot.  They aren't for when the car is parked.  That would be "parked lights," which is what the Germans do with the one side only lighting. 

I use parking lights while I'm parking, IE, driving around a parking lot or driveway at night, when I don't want to be shining headlights in the direction of pedestrians or into peoples windows.  When I pull off the street or road into the parking lot, I'll tun off the headlights and put it in the parking lights position.   When I'm pulling out, I'll drive to the street or road with the parking lights on, then when I'm about to pull out onto the street or road (or rural highway), I'll hit the headlights.

That’s a nice gesture but I could not do that in any of my daily drivers, even the 90 Riviera or the 2020 EncoreGX.  I would have to dismantle the Twilight sentinels on them; they all have automatic headlights that come on in the dark.

19 hours ago, cquisuila said:

when i turn the key to on or accessory ,the tail light, licence light are o

Yes, that sounds like a problem.  Those lights must be getting power from something that's on when ignition is on.  My first guess would be the brake light feed.