1938 Buick

Bob Cook

4 hours ago, MCHinson said:

DSC_0964.JPG

Thank you for attaching a picture of a hard rubber steering wheel which was exposed to sunlight and turned into a pile of dog doody. It is original. Look up the word "original" in Webster and they show this exact same steering wheel. Please curb your dog and clean up after it, $4000 fine for leaving hard rubber on the sidewalk.

8 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

Thank you for attaching a picture of a hard rubber steering wheel which was exposed to sunlight and turned into a pile of dog doody. It is original. Look up the word "original" in Webster and they show this exact same steering wheel. Please curb your dog and clean up after it, $4000 fine for leaving hard rubber on the sidewalk.

You can call it rubber all you want but that does not change the fact that it is not rubber. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

You can call it rubber all you want but that does not change the fact that it is not rubber. 

You can say that 100 times and be wrong every single time. Hard rubber is made from rubber. As editor of a newsletter with a readership of 8 people you should know that.

4 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

You can say that 100 times and be wrong every single time. Hard rubber is made from rubber. As editor of a newsletter with a readership of 8 people you should know that.

Your juvenile attempt to discredit the 36-38 Buick club is off by hundreds of members.

If you knew much about 1937 and 1938 Buicks, you would be aware that they advertised their use of Tenite plastic for the flexible steering wheels. Tenite is not a rubber material.  If you want to know about the plastic used to make these steering wheels, check out this link from the company that made the Tenite for Buick. https://www.eastman.com/Brands/Tenite/Pages/Overview.aspx 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, EmTee said:

I suggest starting a new thread specific to these steering wheels, as the current discussion is no longer adding anything constructive to the original subject of this topic.

I don't think that a new discussion is necessary. Mr. Wright's incorrect information has been corrected. There is no need for further argument on steering wheels. Hopefully @Bob Cook can chime back in with an update on his quest to buy a 1938 Buick, or to post additional photos or ask any additional questions that he might have on 1938 Buicks. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 12:22 PM, Morgan Wright said:

The steering wheel is new. The original steering wheels on these cars were made of "hard rubber" which quickly deteriorate to brown crumbly matter with the consistency of dog poop after a few decades, your shiny new steering wheel is what they make nowadays. Those cost $4000 so congratulations.

The steering wheel is new. The original steering wheels on these cars were made of Tenite which quickly deteriorate to brown crumbly matter with the consistency of dog poop after a few decades, your shiny new steering wheel is what they make nowadays. Those cost $2000 so congratulations.

10 minutes ago, Morgan Wright said:

The steering wheel is new. The original steering wheels on these cars were made of Tenite which quickly deteriorate to brown crumbly matter with the consistency of dog poop after a few decades, your shiny new steering wheel is what they make nowadays. Those cost $2000 so congratulations.

Nice try to recover without admitting your errors, but look at the photo again. The replacment plastic on the steering wheel on that car is cracked and separated from the spoke that is visible in the photo. It needs to be restored again. As a core, that steering wheel is worth $100 to $200 or so. Also, the deteriorated Tenite does not match your color or consistency description.  I guess it is difficult for you to just admit that you were unfamilar with this era of steering wheels. Your statments might have been correct for a steering wheel from 2 decades or so earlier but not for 1937-1938. 

On 11/20/2021 at 12:04 PM, MCHinson said:

Nice try to recover without admitting your errors, but look at the photo again. The replacment plastic on the steering wheel on that car is cracked and separated from the spoke that is visible in the photo. It needs to be restored again. As a core, that steering wheel is worth $100 to $200 or so. Also, the deteriorated Tenite does not match your color or consistency description.  I guess it is difficult for you to just admit that you were unfamilar with this era of steering wheels. Your statments might have been correct for a steering wheel from 2 decades or so earlier but not for 1937-1938. 

Baloney. The steering wheel is beautiful, those 2 cracks don't amount to a hill of Tenite. Nobody in his right mind would recast a wheel because of those 2 little cracks. A core for recasting? 

Who cares what type of plastic it was, if it's hard rubber or Tenite? They both turn to dog poop in 10 years. And who cares if you saw $2000 and never saw the $4000 that I saw? Nothing I said was wrong.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Your statments might have been correct for a steering wheel from 2 decades or so earlier but not for 1937-1938. 

2 decades earlier the steering wheels were made from wood. Please try and learn something about Buicks before posting again.

1 minute ago, Morgan Wright said:

Baloney. The steering wheel is beautiful, those 2 cracks don't amount to a hill of Tenite.

Tenite, by the way, is just a brand name for nitrocellulose which deteriorates even faster than hard rubber. It's also highly flammable and even explosive, if you hold a match to Tenite you can burn the car up or it will explode in your face. The 8 readers of your slick glossy need to know that. They used to make eyeglasses with nitrocellulose in those days, people would light a cigar and their glasses would explode.

I can't tell if you are attempting to be funny or if you are that ill informed. 

1 minute ago, Morgan Wright said:

2 decades earlier the steering wheels were made from wood. Please try and learn something about Buicks before posting again.

Sorry for attempting to give you an easy way out for your errors, "2 decades or so" is what I said, to give you the benefit of the doubt that there were some earlier rubber steering wheels that might have had matched your earlier incorrect statements. I don't own anything earlier than 1937 so I don't know or care when the earliest rubber wheels were used by Buick.  

It would be nice to get back on the topic of the 1938 Buick that Mr. Cook is considering buying.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:11 PM, neil morse said:

Morgan, you are way off base here.  The premier steering wheel guy in Arizona charges $1500 for a deluxe job.  I recently got my '41 wheel done for $500.  This is the result.  If someone quoted you $4000, run the other way immediately.

wheel1.jpg.20f6da7394f3312232ac8501f12d0869.jpg

Beautiful job. Great looking wheel.

• Like 3

Just to keep this thread properly derailed I thought I would throw in my 2 cents(approximately 1.6 cents USD).

Attached are pics of the steering wheel that came in my 37 McLaughlin Buick(40 Series).  Don't pay any attention to the purple shade of color(pic was taken with a camera on a Samsung Tablet).  It is supposed to be brown which there are remnants of paint left on it....its supposed to match the steering column color.   And to really muddy the waters the material appeared somewhat fibrous and it had a brownish color.

The banjo wheel in the pics was bought sight unseen from a trustworthy couple in Showlow Arizona....all "material" that was originally cast onto the core was missing.   Instead of shipping the wheel into Canada, where I live and then back into the US for restoring, I instead had it shipped direct to JB Donsldson's for a restoration.   I know my lowly 40 series 37 McBuick coupe never originally came with a banjo wheel but I wanted one and it is the correct wheel for the 37's.  The only thing I had to do was insert my center hub button into the horn hub plastic casting to make it "Canadian".  The restored wheel is more yellow than I hoped for,  was hoping for a more white ivory.   It's still nice.

ps Bob Cook,  buy the 38 Buick if it's a good deal,  they're not making them any more and I think they were last made in 1938😁😃😄😎

20190414_112303.jpg

20190414_112325.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_20190409_220234_383.jpg

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2