Tire rant!

old-tank

4 hours ago, old-tank said:

Weights on both sides; completely different size and location of weights.  2 tires were broken down and moved about 20 degrees on the rim; technician noted how flimsy the tires were. 

Rim and tire orientation can make a big difference.  What is the ply count for the side wall? 

"flimsy" started with the P-metric tires, by observation.  Tires got lighter-weight, with most of the weight being removed from the sidewall area, by observation, with a little thinner tread area of the complete casing.  Almost all H78-15 size tires used to be 28-30lbs, back then.

Nylon is used as the cap belt on many radials, for greater tread stability and higher speed durability, these days.

• Thanks 2

On 11/13/2021 at 10:45 AM, ted sweet said:

I suggest you try from another computer or else possibly clear your cookies. That link still works fine for me. 

nope

worked for me

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

After the ants are removed, then "spray on and rinse off" some wheel wax.  Makes the wheel too slick for the ants to walk on!  Which might make them "tire ants" rather than "wheel ants".  Adaptation of the species?  Then "metal ants" when they get slung into the wheel wells . . . IF they survive what didn't kill them?

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Those horrid tires are out of balance again!  Called Diamondback again and explained the two years of aggravation and excessive expense and I still have junk.  This time they sent a new set constructed in Milestar tires. (I was surprised that there was no argument or excuses this time --- maybe there is a realization that those Nexen tires are junk)  Not near as flimsy and the handling and balance is acceptable.  We will see after a 5,000 mile workout next week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2